Backing it up

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FTZ HAIC, Feb 12, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i figured so.
    i took crap for that one for months.

i see by the avatar you are back up and playing in the snow.
    does that mean the cracked coconut was not as bad as you made it sound?

2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Still hurting, but the wonders of modern meds........

Getting ready for tonight's storm

Had a new avatar for the doc's but can't read it in there
    th_lolcat-butthurt-2[1].jpg #ad

like this one for you
    image001[1].jpg #ad

3. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I am hit and miss on backing trailers. I hate it when the lake is low and the ramp is 30 feet longer. Good thing the ramp is semi-private. My buddies in our lake community still snicker but, it is what it is.

One of the reasons I bought the Polaris Ranger was to make it easier to put the wave runners in the water and so the kids can launch them without my truck being there. Yeah, right. The Ranger handles the weight and tows with no problems but, the very short wheel base and turning radius doesn't exactly enhance the backing up experience. Just breathe on the steering wheel and the trailer turns.

A couple of my buddies that could back a thread through a needle had a little trouble but, figured it out pretty quick. Sometimes I hit it with no problems and other times it just doesn't seem to work for me... and in the 80s and 90s I used to fish two bass tournaments a month and chased stripers & hybrids on three different lakes.

:(

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

When I used to teach the new truck drivers, first thing I did was make them use only 1 hand on the steering wheel.
    Right hand, hold wheel at 2 o'clock. when backing, always turn opposite of way you want the trailer to go WHILE moving Always whip the truck towards the way you want it before stopping.
    Watch that video again, the truck is doing as a truck driver would do.

As always, plan ahead, know your route before you go into it.See where the boat has to be before you even start backing it in there

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i like the guys that disconnect the cement mixer or air compressor from the pickup and manhandle it to where ever they want it.
    i tell them to work smarter not harder, and put the damn thing back on the truck.
    then back it up the driveway and around the building 500 foot in one shot without stopping or doing a pull up.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yup. Plan it, then do it. NEVER just do it, you fail every time

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Have tried to practice holding the wheel at 6:00 and turning the direction you want the trail to go. That approach seems to work better with the truck than with the Ranger.

Like I said, sometimes I get it good right off...other times...not so much. :(

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

It used to take me about 2 days to get the newbees to back up dump trailers.

after 2 days, I would get out, and walk back to the dump site, and say " see you back there."
    If I beat them back there, I drove them back to the shop, and they needed another job

9. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Good thing I don't need a trailer backer upper job...LOL!

10. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i told more guys to look for another occupation on test drives than i hired after getting out on the highway and having to shift the truck from the passenger seat because they just could not shift the truck to save their lives.

and a mack 5 speed is about the easiest thing in the world to drive. as long as you keep your stupid foot off the clutch

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yeah, I drove the truck back in on a few test drives.
    The truck foreman would say "your killing me"!!!!!
    And I, "and saving you're trucks'"!!!!

12. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i had to shift from the passenger seat to get it back because there was no place to pull over on the one lane highway to switch drivers.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso