Banning Diesels, Idiot Or Does He Have Good Points?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Oct 3, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

There are a number of stations around here (well nearest is 12 miles away), including a Safeway (Dallas), Chevron, Shell and the Indian Station that all you have to do is pull up to the diesel pumps, put your card in the pump, push the button and away you go. Safeway on S. Commercial in Salem won't let you pump your own diesel, but I've not had a problem with them starting and me finishing.

We have one gas station in Sheridan (Union 76 - no diesel) and it is so ridiculously high priced that I really do not understand how in the world they stay in business.

2. Tall Timbers Vet Zone

Up thread I read that diesel stinks. I love the smell of diesel in the morning. That's probably a trait shared by many diesel owners. I'll miss it when I get the gasser truck... will miss the torque too...

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Diesel owner myself but I never cared much for the smell, reminds me too much of a kerosene heater!

4. Kajtek1 Founding Member

I don't smell diesel on my latest vehicles at all.
    Never could tell regeneration in the truck, but can smell "grill" smell on my Mercedes. That is the only indication of regeneration kicking in.

5. roscoe 0202

having made my living since 1969 in the diesel world basically the diesel is a non polluting engine it gets all the air it can take in ie no restriction in the intake the fuel flow handles the acceleration and power not airflow like a gas engine. if the turbo injectors and intake and exhaust all work together like engineered the engine puts out co2 and biggest problem nitric oxide gas engine puts out co and co2 more because of restriction in intake

roscoe
    ps I own a diesel pickup but would buy a turboed direct injection gas engine if engine big enough to make torque of diesel

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Diesel exhaust is considered a group 1 carcinogen. They put out N2, CO2, NOx, and particulates (which can cause problems for those with asthma).

Muel and Paul Masley like this.
  7. mete

8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Yes I would buy it if I had the need for a vehicle in which it was offered. I'd wait till it had a couple uears under its belt though.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >