bucket seat mounts

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, Jun 28, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

IMG_0225 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad
    IMG_0226 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad
    IMG_0227 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad
    IMG_0257 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad
    IMG_0300 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad
    IMG_0253 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

This first truck might be of interest to you John, it has a Fairlane fiberglass tilt front end, 3 " wide fiberglass rear fenders and the color is likely similar to what you have in mind. The truck was done 15 years ago and looks very good.

IMG_0254 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

New Project 277 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

To get back on topic here is a pic of the installed drawer front and the painted seat frame.

3. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

laid out the sheet metal for the drawers... and finally got a sheet metal shop that could bend it for a reasonable price... 1st price $50... 2nd price $75... third price "awww.. it'd be less than 10 bucks" guess where I'm headed in the a.m. ?? I'm bending the exact on the bottom dimension... but making the sides too high and will cut to fit... One 2'x4' sheet of 12 ga will made two drawers... with the fronts and backs cut from another piece of the same mat'l. IMG_0471.JPG #ad

IMG_0472.JPG #ad

4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I only used 20 gauge for my drawers John, you're going heavy duty.

5. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Yep...it's what I had....I found a guy deal on seat belts. Black only...three point. You interested ????

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

No, I'll be using tan coloured belts with this build too. Are they the military belts? Someone posted some on the other site, $29.

7. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Yep ....from sportsman's place

8. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

well... got something done today...but this 95 degrees is killing me... got the above pictured metal bent... I paid him the whole 10 bucks since he did it while I waited... pics to follow
    Img_0476.jpg #ad

cut it into drawer size Img_0479.jpg #ad

my sheet metal guy gave me exactly 14" across the bottom which was exactly what the distance between slides was... so I had to cut one side of slides off and reweld with a .100" spacer... pulled the spacer after welds and now it fits... I gotta to learn about slack someday... precision thinking left over from surveying and precision machine alignment. ANYWAY after drawer cuts and rework slides... drilled the sides for the pop rivets that will hold the drawers to the slides and then got started making the ends... the drawers will be 3-1/2" high, 14" across and 24" deep..
    Img_0482.jpg #ad

this end is the 'front' or the part facing the door... the high side will just cover the frame and will be covered like the interior upholstery. That was the end of the day... too much heat and not enough me left... onward tomorrow, maybe !

john

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    56panelford and dustybumpers like this.
  9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Looking good John!

10. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Img_0485.jpg #ad
    IMG_0487.JPG #ad
    IMG_0488.JPG #ad
    Img_0496.jpg #ad
    alright... next !!!!!????? well.... still got to clean it up and paint it...but the fabrication is complete... thanks John for the inspiration, plans, answers and encouragement...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    dustybumpers likes this.
  11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Are you going to put the center legs in John before you paint it, I also put a thin sheet of steel on top for a dust cover which was pop riveted on.

12. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

yea, I just ran out of steam today... the heat is rough lately... the weather lady said the weather was on 'self clean' this week... she ain't kidding.. I'm gonna bolt it in with the four legs and then fab up the middles to fit.. I'm gonna add the dust covers... just gotta find some thin material. Next door neighbor has a nephew who does sign work and he works out of my neighbors barn... might be able to scarf an old sign or something from him... a sheet of thin plastic would work well too... did you hinge yours from the back ?? or how did you attach.

so did I do your design proud ??

13. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I just pop riveted it in all around after I cut the holes where the seats would bolt, for the center console I also drill and tapped for 1/4" bolts into the tubing.

14. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Yes you did me proud. :)

15. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

so you attached the dust cover to the underside of the frame... not in each drawer ??

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >