Bronco II Come On Out! Truck Show Anyone? .....please Only Bronco 2.

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by OR-86B2, Jan 4, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd put it on this site in a heart beat! :)

2. OR-86B2

The problem being this explorer is sitting because it just won't change into any gears they said.. And it's a standard transmission.. I'm just feeling like it wouldn't work together under my Bronco 2. Also, I'm admitting here that I don't have much know-how for this potential swap..
    Does anybody know of motor components that may be interchangeable with these separate model years?? Bronco is 1986 and the Explorer is 1991.. Thanks guys

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2.8,2.9,4.0 ohv and 4.0 SOHC all share the same bolt pattern for transmissions, the swap world is wide open.

4. OR-86B2

So you are saying that I can put a 4.0 OHV motor that was made to run with a manual transmission and bolt it up to the B2 automatic transmission and it should work essentially??

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

In a word.............Yes.
    2.8/2.9 swaps to 4.0 are very common.
    I would find a automatic that was built to run with the 4.0 (later A4LD) stronger than the transmission in your B2.

6. OR-86B2

Because since the 2.9 transmission is made for running with a 2.9 motor, attempting a swap as such might overload the transmission eh? And then bam we have a blown auto transmission laying around...

7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Best course is to buy a decent body damaged, but good running Explorer and use it for a donor................

8. ncranchero Founding Member

I've had a few of them, 8 I think it is. They are great little haulers. All but 1 of mine were rollovers that I clipped and gave them new life again. My wife drove them with the kids so I stressed that if you run off the road do not jerk it back on. You don't snatch back any 4x4 though.

There's a real beauty of one for sale down the road from me now. I have to look at it every time I go by. So far I have resisted stopping.

I had an Explorer Sport exactly like the blue one in the post above. IMO, the Escape is the closest thing to a BR-II. We have a 2002 Escape FWD and I like it most ways as much as the Baby Bronco. Mom has an Escape, my sister has 2.

The 90-92 Rangers came with the 4.0L OHV motor so swapping one into a BR-II should be no problem at all. I still have a few pieces left after all this time.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >