Dash cam?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F350-6, Aug 24, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I get the bus driver was in the wrong, and we've all seen those types of drivers that just about deserve to be run off the road, but a school bus is typically full of kids (who we should presume are innocent), so swerving and forcing the bus into oncoming traffic or off the road is just wrong in my opinion. Especially these days where everyone has a cell phone and you could just call 911 and report the bus.

2. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Didn't know what happened to FedEx. The news just said they had been "taunting" each other and that the school bus driver had been fired. They said that FedEx was "investigating" but had not announced any action.

They have 5 models and of course I like the specs for the "spendy one".

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

luckily the bus was empty Chris.

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

was just talking to me friend that works in the office at Fedex freight , and she said the truck driver was fired last night to due to the backlash from the video.

5. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I expect they would have a tremendous amount of PR nightmares, especially since it hit national news.

6. Tall Timbers Vet Zone

I put blackbox dashcams in all of our vehicles after my truck got hit by a tiny chevy car that slid out onto the highway as I was driving by. The other driver gave a fraudulent story and it turned into a big mess... I bought the capacitor models and the date sometimes goes back to default and it then won't loop over newer dates so that's kind of a hassle. I recently put an aukey in one of the vehicles. I think it has both a capacitor and a battery. So far the date hasn't reset on that one.

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

GOPRO was what I wanted for road trips, anything after HERO-3 would be perfect.

A mount for one can be made with any 1/4 - 20 hardware (Std small camera mount thread)

I like to use 5-pane safety mirrors, and I thought about screwing a plate to the bottom of one that tucks the camera around back of it

8. Scot Founding Member

I had an accident last November where my dashcam saved my bacon. (78 F250 SC 4x4 Cummins)

Guy is merging into traffic from the right and instead of waiting in line, he runs up beside a semi that is already merging and suddenly finds himself about to be squeezed. He could have just stopped where he was and again, all would have been well. Instead he swerves into my lane about a car length in front of me. He peeled my front bumper out about 45* with his left rear quarter, wrinkled the fender etc .

In the big cites now, the cops don't have time to work little accidents so if no one is hurt and the vehicles are driveable, you proceed to a safe location, exchange info and turn it in to the insurance company.

So the dude makes up some fiction and now I'm the guy at fault. I sent the footage of it in to the insurance company but the 3 minute file is larger than email wants to handle so it goes into google files(?) and they evidently could not or would not view it in spite of having a link, not that they bothered to convey that information to me. They just took the other guys word. Finally 1 1/2 months on I find out that problem and the first adjuster actually looks at the video. A month later they finally decide to total it for a wrinkled fender, bent bumper, and a front shimmy and tell me it is worth $2300 or some foolishness.

I told them to send me 3 more equally equipped vehicles in the market I could buy for that money, which of course they couldn't provide. Body shop said $1800 damage. I said okay, just send me that. Instead they total it, let me keep the truck and a clear title and give me $2300, adamantly refusing to just give me the $1800 and forget the total part.

9. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Since they totaled it, does that mean you get a ''salvaged'' title?

10. Scot Founding Member

No I kept the title as is.

11. Scot Founding Member

Well the bad luck rolls on.

I'm driving up to a T intersection and traffic stops for the people trying to turn left onto the T. I stop well behind the 18 wheeler in front of me. He decides he needs to back up to let someone turn off of the T. I backed up as far as I could without hitting the guy behind me and start blowing the horn (not that he is going to hear me.) I realized he was going to hit me so I took my foot off of the brake figuring he was going to push me until he got done pushing me. I suppose that minimized the damage and the fact the bumper height matched.

So I follow him to his nearby destination and of course he denies it and gets all huffy when I asked if he wanted to watch the dash cam. Not wanting to get in a fight I just got the info I needed and left. I didn't send the pictures of him sitting in the truck shooting me the bird to his employer though.

It bent the front bumper down about 1" in the back (Ranger) and I probably would have just taken care of it myself instead of going through the hassle if he had just said "I'm sorry." The Bird pretty well ended my good will.

Got a check from the company the other day and who knows what hassle the driver got all for the lack of "I'm sorry."

You're nuts for not running a dash cam these days.

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It just paid for itself!

13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I have had one on my truck for a while now. I wish I had one more portable for my muscle cars. I swear they are invisible to other drivers. :snaphappy:

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  14. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Old thread, but WTH......

Just bought a Nexar about a month ago. Of all things, it popped up on my FB feed. Looked into it. Got the front dash only.

Couldn't have been easier to install. Suction mount. Ran the wire across the top through the jamb and under passenger mat. USB hookup to the center console.

Starts and stops automatically. Have it hooked to my iPhone. Works like a charm. automatically goes to the phone AND the 'cloud'. If not needed, going to your 'drives' section and deleting them is easy. Good video. Paid $69 for the unit and an extra $11 or so for the mount.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >