Do you have an appreciation of all automobiles?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by MIL1ION, Jun 5, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

No!

THIS is an "AUTO-MOBILE"...

What the Cap'n is talkin' about are serious CARS...
    :woot:

RE: This last vid - Who wins? Don't care...

*The narrator is an idiot, or they gave him a bad beginning script
    But he does talk to a lot of points in the later track segments that
    speak to car handling and performance. Who is that joker?

~Guys? I think I found a new channel to follow

But that all speaks to BIG MUSCLE. It does - what I have recently been looking at is far more insane. What most people raised in North America see in a small car is pathetic and stupid bling! Get ready for an education. This is not the fast and the furious, and it is not F1.

It is total all out insanity

All conditions, all times of year, PUBLIC ROADS

You have probably seen or played "NEED for SPEED" games, but this is the real thing, and it has been going on for half a hundred years.

~And a Mustang or a Corvette or Camaro won't work - it's got to be smaller and lighter

The horsepower ratios in terms of power to weight ratio were out the window eventually as engine knowledge improved

It was when AUDI introduced all wheel drive that the game massively changed...
    It meant that all of that horsepower could be planted on all four wheels

*If you can find a true "GROUP B" car - never give it up! It's the fastest thing you could have

~But it might be the death of you

And all of this has lead to the small cars of today

Over the years I have seen many posers, people with clapped out used-to-be hot cars, or Camaros with small engines bought for looks. Things like that. You can get a mustang with a four cylinder cheaper than a "LIVE" one. Bought for looks alone.

I think in reverse

I like itty bitty sleepers... :cool:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. captchas

your right.
    automobiles /aka muscle cars today

3. captchas

just added this one to the collection needs to be restored but it is a number correct 70 LS6 454 that came with the correct now missing parts, plus the trunk is full of new repo parts, glass,seat covers, carpet,new head liner, and more. notice that 3rd pedal hanging from the firewall , hooks up to what we don't see much of any more

0411171241.jpg #ad

0411171241a.jpg #ad

0411171241b.jpg #ad

0411171241c.jpg #ad

0411171242.jpg #ad

0411171242a.jpg #ad

whomrig and 56panelford like this.
  4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The prime formula is power to weight ratio

A "LEAD SLED" takes too much to get it out of its own way...

5. captchas

is a 11.2 second 1/4 time a lead sled?

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

That depends - how much cubic did it take to move it that fast? In the seventies the goal was a ten second quarter, and mills have come a long way since then.

A nine second car was considered almost alien science back then for a street car, but now we have 4V heads, a lot better understanding of flow, turbos and chargers have been refined and developed, and in the ignition and fuel management departments there are absolutely brilliant options available...

But for me, I think the low end of the "LEAD SLED" category is anything that weighs more than 3,000 pounds. Mustangs come in at about 2500 to 2600. My FWD toys weigh in at 1600 to 1750 lbs, which means anything over 300 HP is like mounting a RATO bottle on the back

NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG, and don't hate on me. I love old muscle cars and fat fender rods. If I could some day get my hands on a '57 Olds Delta 88 two door I think I could die a happy man. I liked the looks of my '73 Grand Torino (IMHO a '72 would have been bitchener), and for cruising the PCH if I could have hung onto it long enough to cherry out - that would have been a keeper too. But even with a 351 Cleveland factory 4Bbl and a four on the floor -

That thing was a TANK, if not a slug...

And yeah, it was the four bolt main Cleve, with big ass ports

I will admit that I will always have a soft spot for Malibu's and Chevelle's. Even more so for '70 (ish) El Camino's.

The quickest car in Glenmont when I was in High School back then was a '66 'Bu though - with a 350 four bolt main built by no less than Jackie McKnight. The car was track proven to run high 9's

It always stood out in the apartment parking lot because it was the only one there that was end to end stone cold primer black - like a stealth airplane in a crowd of Piper Cubs and Cessna's

*Something I notice about your new wheels is a thing pointed out in the video I planted in the Fabricators Corner part of the forum. The stripes on it are on the hood and the back deck, but not on the roof. THIS IS the original paint scheme for all of the cars Chevy detailed like that, who knows why. If you re-skin the colors on it, you might want to avoid having the stripes carried up and over the roof, just to keep it TRUE, even though the natural inclination would be to complete them...

PS: If you haven't seen it yet, here's an eye opening video of a Camaro being re-done:

At around 30 minutes in, the lay out of the stripes begins. That particular stripe pattern or package is called "YENKO" stripes

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Vintage muscle car.
    Circa-1912-National-Racing-Car-569x340.jpg #ad

From. The old motor.

8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

That was bare bones racing.
    The driver set a speed record driving an excelsior on a board track.
    Nuff said.

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

10. captchas

462 inches dutch! 454 plus .030. 12.5 slugs, roller solid cam, oval port heads, m21 4:11 12 bolt rear. dyno numbers are just over 530/671 lbs to the ground
    hear you on the cleveland, reason i'm hanging onto the 70 351 clev. not many orig ones left, which after a lot of thought is going to be the pusher for the 32 sedan , it's already .030 over, 11.5 slugs , roller hydro cam, alloy FR heads and intake just needs a good refresh job as it has a few hundred runs on it when it still in the 70 MK 1 stang . got a few C 6's laying around and 1 lasalle 9.0 inch rear

11. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

One of these days a huge mill is still in my future, but I don't think I'll begin collecting that until I have my other two V8's used for something. I always wanted to have a 408 Windsor in stock, and it wouldn't take much to set up the old "M" engine.

But the biggest and raddest that I ever wanted to try was a 510 inch based on a siamesed cylinder 454

12. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Get ready for serious "NUTZ!" This is a car that goes back to the theme of this thread, in that it is strange and unusual, very basic, and far away from what anyone would ever consider driving on a daily basis. It is a complete re-thought of the term "CAR"

It's the last thing on earth you would ever imagine to be street legal

~ and probably takes an absolute maniac to wring every last drop out of it...

If you built a V8 engine and transmission, added a front and rear suspension, and zip-tied a seat to it -
    That's what an Ariel is​

Last edited: May 5, 2017
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso