Veterans Zone DoD to Open Online Exchange Shopping to Veterans

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Seabiscuit, Jul 31, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Tall Timbers Vet Zone

I'm retired USAF... have a PX nearby... I shop at the Commissary but it's been a long time since I've found much in the way of value at PX/BX's. As Wal*Mart took over the country as the low price leader the PX/BX just seemed to turn in to a big convenience store, someplace you'd go to because it was handy, not because the prices were good. By opening the online sales to all Veterans, maybe that'll help them get more purchasing power and then maybe they can compete with other stores on value.

I still shop a lot at the Commissary, but am finding that I'm spending evermore of my grocery money in the local economy because I'm finding better pricing, sometimes significantly better off base/post in the grocery stores. The Commissary, since they're supposed to charge their cost plus the 5% surcharge, must be paying a lot more for a lot of their stuff than some of the local grocery stores are paying... that's something the Commissary HQ should be able to solve if they have some competent people running that show...

2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Good ol' USAF. I only did a short stint. Two much younger brothers followed my lead though. One did 8 years and the other retired at 28+ years. E-8, First Shirt, as I recall.

[​IMG]#ad

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The exchanges are said to be controlled by and invested in by Officers in the various branches.

However true this may be, the clothing offered in Navy Exchanges at least are the most flimsy, pseudo-stylish things I have ever seen. It is as if Filipina NAVY Wives are picking out the clothing selections...

Where the hell are the LEVI's? Where are the Cartthardts? How come the NEX is stuffed full of "NIFTY NEATO" junk, instead of name brands that are the real deal? It's as if whomever is in charge of "PURCHASING" is way out of touch, possibly even disconnected while underlings run the show (no offence to anyone)

It makes me think they hired "Madonna" as their principle style consultant - or someone doing a cover of her on Magsaysay drive...

You have to go to a MARINE exchange to buy most anything useful.

A thing I noticed civilian side was the flood of East Indian families on visa's buying, running, and then selling when their visas and permits ran out - several local businesses around here.

The reason is because they sold (or tried their best to) the most ridiculous non-American mainstream JUNK and TRASH in their stores - especially gas stations and convenience stores - that I have ever seen. KALI figurines, totally cheap unreliable knives in styles that LOOKED ferocious, but were china made trash. I tried my best to teach a local family of them what fishing supplies meant, but they just didn't seem to get it (Glenn Springs Lake - 400+ acres of fishing - is next door, but they want to sell toys...)

I believe there is much of a cultural gap behind it. Not the gas stations off base - the thinking going into the exchanges.

I don't think they are even following reports of what sells and what doesn't, I think the only thing that concerns them is what they can get cheap enough to pass on at a discount in some way...

Like a (F)ing DOLLAR STORE!

And who wants to shop THERE every day?

NUTSHELL SUMMARY: Our people deserve better quality products, and a better selection of what IS better quality. Or would you have the finest Ladies and Genitalmen in the service of the UNITED STATES dress like idiots?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >