Don't Do This! Your Life Depends On It, Seriously.

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by FTZ HAIC, Aug 18, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Diesel Dave Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I gotta tell ya, Ken, the boy's got a point. That setup's fine. Look at what he's done - multiple studs for each load-bearing surface (safety backup), multiple wraps of line (greatly exceeding load capacity required), name brand hand-operated hoist (guaranteed operation, no malfunctions due to electrical issues), reinforcing locator lines to ensure stationary operation, tension brace(s) on each vertical post and a precision spacer to prevent damage to aluminum intake components. He even overthought the application and included an additional friction brake for each leg (front fenders) thus ensuring permanent placement. That guy's got a future in heavy truck repair!

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

You mean ensuring permanent placement of the front fenders on each leg. Not to mention oil pan drain brain.

Then there is the chain spacer. With the stress points being in the direction of the wood grain the whole design turns into a tragedy. That sucker pops, the engine drops with a sudden pressure of force, thereby, causing the premature failure of the upper support truss. While the multi-wrapped rope holds it is to no avail as the two unseasoned 2 x 4s SNAP. Again, then sudden down force slams the, supposed, jack stands causing them to buckle.

The next picture then depicts First Responders scratching their heads as they look a dead guy an engine in his face, his short sleeved britches filled with chit and his cute work socks filled with blood.

Such is the life and times of DYI'ers....that can't see past their vice-grips. :)

3. Diesel Dave Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Yup. Pardon the broad sarcasm, I just couldn't resist. After 25 years of teaching folks to work on things (automotive gas/diesel, heavy diesel) I've developed a keen eye for 'genius'. Spur-of-the-moment shortcuts, forgetfulness and truly just plain stupidity. Gotta tell ya, for an old fart, I can move pretty quick. Unfortunately, some years ago, it wasn't quick enough. The results were not pretty. I'm pretty overboard about personal responsibility and personal safety in the shop. The guys have a word for it. Conveniently, it starts with the same letter as my last name....

56panelford likes this.
  4. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

hey guys.. give him a little credit... he does have a safety clip on the come-a-long hook... that should count for something. This old 'safety man' did a bit time cringe looking at that picture... SOOO many ways he failed... multiple opportunities for death here...

john

56panelford likes this.
  5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

The biggest FAIL is his belief that he over designed, for safety, in the first place.

:banghead:anim
    I knew the jest was there, I wasn't poking at cha.

6. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

You know, unless he is pretty tall and/or long armed, he may have had to stand on the car to crank the come-a-long :rock:anim

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have a feeling if he could have found a come-a-long for 50 cents less because it didn't have the clip he'd have bought it!

8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

You drive a dodge??!!!

56panelford likes this.
  9. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Tighty whiteys and ankle socks....Please tell me ain't so. The vision is burning the retina out of my mind's eyes.

:arghh:

:tmi:

10. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Just like the guy I was talking about, he had a 1 ton Chevy hanging from a roof truss in his garage, no safety jacks, the hook on the come along was spread open and he was working under it. He just told me he does it all the time and nothing has ever happened. I left before it could .

11. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Seriously...............what kind of tard wears socks outside to work on vehicles?............and shorts?...I guess he likes to bloody his knees?
    After decades of working in heavy industry, even tennis shoes make my toes feel vulnerable when not at the plant.

56panelford likes this.
  12. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

The only thing confusing about that picture is the house across the street isn't a trailer. The rest fits perfectly.

helifixer likes this.
  13. Diesel Dave Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Ya know folks, something's nibbling at me......

I look at that picture and see how wrong it is on so many levels. :inpain: And I look over the forum's reaction on these two pages. :banghead:anim :sick:anim I'm startin' to kinda wonder - Are we bein' had? Just think - Spend a morning staging a photo with a couple of buds, post it and then sit back and watch the worldwide firestorm break out. Then open up a cold beer and howl like a hyena at all the uproar you set up. Just wonderin'......

56panelford likes this.
  14. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't think it's a put up job...............just today's moronic stupidity, captured for eternity.

15. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

nah... you can tell the difference in 'staged' and stupid !

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >