Engine Fire on 2017 F250 SD w/ 6.7 Diesel

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Biffster, Jul 2, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Biffster

Easy to say that after what happen.
    Think about all the issues that could of happen if I let it burn while it was was backed down near the water way? I would be fighting law suits and defending my actions, or lack of action if diesel fuel and oil ran into the river.
    Still under the Bumper to Bumper warranty and why should I pay a deductible for the coverage?
    But really, after almost two months after the incident, now you make that statement? Why did you not say that back on July 2?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    ifallsguy likes this.
  2. Biffster

Two months since the engine fire and sill no progress. Went to the dealer on 8/27 and the only things they have done is removed the air filter housing and pulled the cover off the passenger side fuse box. Have not cleaned off the engine as it is still covered with the fire extinguisher material.

3. Biffster

Talked to the General Manager on 9/8/2020 and he stated they have ordered parts to start the repair. I asked "How could they have known what parts to order when they have not removed the cab or cleaned off the engine?" His answer was they will install the parts and the continue investigation if there are further issues. I am now expecting it will be mid-October until repairs are completed. Well I hope?

4. Biffster

Stopped in at the dealer on Thursday, 9/17, and they said "most parts have arrived and waiting on a couple more." So far the estimate is at over $12K and that only included what they could see externally. (They have not removed the cab, nor washed off the fire extinguisher material.) There will be more as they get into to it, whenever that is! Could be injectors, turbo, paint, ... I doubt they will put a wrench on it until the first of October, three months after the fire.

5. Biffster

Alright, THREE MONTHS since the fire and they have yet to put a wrench on my truck.
    Yes they have given me a loaner, but are they stalling, so when repairs are done, ??????, I will be past the bumper to bumper warranty?
    Getting to the point to renew my insurance and my License Plate. So what do I do?
    How would you feel if this was your truck?
    You tell me how I should rate Ford or Capital Ford???????????????????
    No doubt, what my choice will be the next time I buy a vehicle!

6. ifallsguy

A suggestion, sent a letter (not an email) to the Vice President of Consumer Affairs. Layout exactly what is happening...when the fire happened and how, where you took it, how it's been handled, and how long you have been waiting for a resolution. Don't get emotional, just the facts and copies (not originals) of any documentation you have. Ask if he can shed any light on why this as taken as long as it has. Don't go off about the dealer stalling, threaten lawsuit, go to another brand, etc. Just lay out what's happened and how long you've had the truck and you really want or need it back. This could be the kick in the pants to get things moving and getting your truck back.

Do Not Include you've put this up on the web or on the forum. If they want to look, they will either find it or contact you for that information. The idea is to be clear and concise, not emotional....just state what the issue is, the history, and you ask they help resolve it. Dealers do not want a VP asking questions about problems. And don't mention your letter to anyone at the dealer. Let your communications with the VP run it's course. It is possible they will get this moving or they may not. But give it some time.

Also, I would mail it certified mail with return receipt. At least that way you know someone at Ford HQ got the letter. I don't think this will go without some sort of response, hopefully positive. Make sure you keep us posted on when you mail it and any action (positive or negative). Just be as clear and unemotional as possible. One last suggestion, when you write it, print it out double space and look at the next day for spelling, punctuation, etc. Also make sure you write exactly what you want to get across. Then print it as a business type letter, keep an copy and staple the mailing receipt and the return receipt to the copy. If you get no response, I'll give you some suggestions that might get their attention. But for now, this letter is your best bet.

Also include your address, a phone number you can be reached AND an email address below your signature. That way they can contact you.

Here is the name of the Customer Service VP for US operations:

Mark LaNeve is vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service
    , a position he was named to in February 2015. In his role, LaNeve is responsible for all marketing, sales, service, customer care and dealer relations for the Ford and Lincoln brands.

The headquarters address to Ford is:

1 American Rd, Dearborn, MI 48126

I would address it directly to him, though someone on his staff will probably handle it. Make sure you end with the line "I would any appreciate any help you can provide in getting this issue resolved."

Biffster likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I still think spending a couple of hundred bucks for an attorney to draft a letter will get this moving faster than anything. Many times in my business career, I've seen an attorney's letterhead get things moving and open doors when nothing else would.

DonW likes this.
  8. ifallsguy

My experience has been at the receiving of a letter from an attorney. First, my attorney is a relative so I had no cost in the reply. When I received the letter claiming we had damaged his computer (which he signed the work order as bringing it in because the power supply had been smoking) and claimed over $10K in lost data. Gave it to the attorney and never thought about it again. A letter from an attorney would be handed off to legal and at that point you loose any help or good will from customer service (or in the case of what I suggested, the VP of Consumer Affairs). An attorney is the nuclear option since at that point, there is no turning back. Plus since Ford has attorneys sitting around playing solitaire, the chances of a settlement would be months, if not years out. Add to that the claimant's hundred of dollars out of pocket, which he probably never recover, makes a courteous letter to the VP of Consumer Affairs a much smarter choice to start.

However, it's up to the OP how he wants to proceed. At least in my experience, reaching out to the top person who deals with customers, in this case the VP, does provide some, if not all, remedy.

My most resent experience, my wife's 2019 Edge lost subscription to Sirius Apps (fuel, weather, etc) which came with a 5 year subscription when we bought the vehicle. Customer Service kept telling us they couldn't turn it on and we would have to pay for a $165 annual subscription to turn it back on. I spoke with the supervisor, explained the problem (apps were lost in latest Sync auto update and master reset), read him the paragraph about the 5 year subscription in the brochure that came with the car. After about 45 minutes of talking about it, he authorized a 4 year subscription for the Edge. We had the car for about 16 months and I told him all I was asking for was 3 years and 8 months. He said he would make it 4 years "to correct the problem we had encountered and my having to call to correct the problem." No threats on my part, no yelling, just asking to be made whole, which he more than provided. If I made the threat of an attorney, the conversation would have been over and I would have had no additional recourse, other than legal. The same technique of a letter to the right person has worked for me several times, rather than my throwing a nuclear bomb into the situation.

That is why I still highly recommend contacting the VP of Customer Service at Ford. Remember, the brown stuff flows downhill and he is at the top of that hill.

My opinion and experience, for what it's worth.

Biffster likes this.
  9. Biffster

ifallaguy thank you as that is the contact I was looking for. 10-4 on the tone of the letter! I have been keeping a journal with the facts, not the rants or emotions, just what has occurred or not occurred.
    Thanks again!

ifallsguy likes this.
  10. ifallsguy

Glad I could provide it. Keep us apprised of how it goes.

Biffster likes this.
  11. Biffster

Stopped by the dealership this morning, 10/12/2020 and they said they stared repairs on Friday, 10/09/2020. Still waiting on one more wiring harness, but started the repairs.

12. Biffster

Received a call last week, 10/21/2020 from the dealership and she said they have all the parts in and should have repairs completed by the 30th. THAT WILL MAKE IT FOUR (4) MONTHS. Yeah, FOUR FRICK'N MONTHS
    That will leave me 1 1/2 months of warranty left on the original 36 month bumper to bumper warranty. You can bet your sweet bippy, I'll be driving the wheels off it!

13. ifallsguy

Have a discussion with your service manager. Because it sat at their facility for four months, they should be able to extend the warranty for 4 months. Also make sure you get the warranty on the motor in writing. See if you can get the motor warranty extended since they should be using FORD parts (not aftermarket) which come with their own warranty. Most come with a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty. Check out this site for information.

https://parts.ford.com/en/us/resources/parts-warranty

The parts warranty should be automatic. An extra 4 months on 3/36......maybe. If the dealer goes for it, you will need to get that in writing and use their service facility. One other option might be if they won't extend due to not being able to get approval and parts, see if they will give you at least 1 free oil and fuel filter change. One thing I would make sure was done, the in engine compartment fuel filter should be changed due to the fire. I would also want to verify they changed out the filter at the water separator.

Keep us posted.

FTZ HAIC and Biffster like this.
  14. Biffster

Thank you for the advice. I have been asking if they are going to extend my Bumper to Bumper, but keep getting stonewalled. You can count on I am asking for an itemized list of replaced parts. I have already mentioned that I hope they are replacing both batteries. I know once Lead Acid batteries are drained, they never return to the full potential state.
    We'll see what happens, but I am setting my hopes rather low, given all that hasn't happen!

15. ifallsguy

The parts warranty for 2year/unlimited isn't something they can ignore. From what I read, it doesn't appear to matter if you purchase or they warranty the parts. I'll ask my parts guy at my dealer when I see him in the next few days.

You might speak to your salesperson. Good will on the part of a dealer goes a long way in keeping a customer happy, not to mention not having that customer talk about the terrible service he received from that dealer. The old saying is a happy customer will tell 5 people about good service but everyone in town hears about bad service (or something to that affect :devil:anim).

You can also contact Ford direct and request that, due to the four months to get this issue moving, would they extend the warranty to cover that period. They may do it as a customer courtesy.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Biffster likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >