Engine Fire on 2017 F250 SD w/ 6.7 Diesel

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Biffster, Jul 2, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Biffster

Over four months now!
    Stopped in at the Dealership today, 11/9/2020, and they are still waiting on another part. These are parts can can see. Who knows if there is any internal damage????
    Additionally, I tried the Ford Customer Service line to request an extension on my bumper to bumper warranty. After talking to six (6) different representatives, finally a guy started a case number to see what will happen with my request.

2. ifallsguy

An update on warranty on parts. Spoke with the service manager at my dealer. When parts are replaced under warranty they come with a 12 months warranty. I believe the mileage is unlimited. Parts you pay for are 2 year unlimited mileage.

Biffster likes this.
  3. Biffster

Thank you for that information.
    My concern is drifting towards them taking so long, what all are they going to miss. No different than the "Project" you have in the work shed and now forgotten where you put those parts, so onto the back burner it goes!

4. Biffster

Got a text from Capital Ford stating they are still waiting on a "Battery Cable". I responded with thanks. Is there any concerns about internal damage as the air filter element was on fire?
    The response was they need to see what happens after all the (external) electrical components are replaced and they try to fire it up. So if seals are burnt and other internal damage is present, WTF?
    So if there is internal damage, I guess there goes another 5 months? SO, almost a FRICK'N year. Is that what I am looking at??????????????????????????

What would your thoughts be about Ford? or Capital Ford Wilmington?

5. ifallsguy

I showed your thread to my service advisor and she asked how long has that circus service department been in business? From what is on the thread, her guess was a turn around in 4-6 weeks, taking into account having to get warranty clearance and parts being available. She asked why they haven't checked out the air filter and anything else on the exterior. She did say internal damage would be hard to check out without a teardown, which Ford might say fix the obvious and then run it. But her first questions to you would have been how was it burning before you turned it off and was it running when you first tried to put it out.

The feeling here is your dealer was in no hurry to get the ball rolling.

6. Biffster

First: THANK YOU, IFALLSGUY for all your help and suggestions.

I sent a second letter to Mr. LaNeve on Friday 11/20/2020

Funny that I need to include the year on my transmittals as this is taking so long!

10-4 on NO HURRY.

I will say they loaned me, first truck, 2020 F250 Lariat Diesel that only had 1400 miles on it. Then they loaned me a 2020 F350 Lariat Diesel brand spanking new. Both trucks get much better mileage than my 2017. Pulling the boat with my truck about 13 miles/gallon. The loaners about 16 miles/gallon.

My buddy started the truck and was an un-interrupted backing up to the ramp of less than 100 yards. So ran for 3 minutes? Soon as the trailer was in the water he shut it off. Then I gave him my fire extinguisher out of the boat. Truck was NEVER restarted after that event.

The dealership never asked the series of events. Until I told them that we removed the air filter, which was still burning / smothering when we threw it into the river / water. They wondered why the filter was wet!

I think they Penciled Whipped the Cable Replacement Recall back in September of 2019 and they are having to Cover Their --- (Fill in the last word) and spread the cost out over many months.

ifallsguy likes this.
  7. Biffster

Well, starting Month SIX (6), and still not a wrench has been put to it as Capital Ford of Wilmington NC is still waiting on parts, battery cable.
    Bumper to Bumper warranty to expire.
    Almost 1/6 of my ownership of this truck has been sitting in the repair bay unattended. Think about that!

Too bad there is the Covid thing going on as I would want to go to Las Vegas, to put money down on when the truck will FULLY REPAIRED.

8. ifallsguy

Are you still paying for this truck? If so, is it with Ford Credit? If it is, I would approach them and explain the situation and see if either they can light a fire under this dealer's pie exit port (gotta keep it clean you know) or come up with another way to help you out. Examples....hold off payments (with no interest added) until this thing is back on the road or suspend interest. Not saying it wouldn't work, but it's worth a try.

Another idea is talking to a local media outlet who covers consumer news locally and tell them your truck has been in the shop for going on 6 months, with no end in site. Maybe they would be willing to shine a light on this dealer, who I can say from experience as working with consumer reporters, doesn't want his business look like they don't care about their customers. And you could also mention Ford doesn't seem to be in any hurry to supply parts to get you back on the road. The benefits of Just In Time supply chain, or some call it, no spare parts--buy a new vehicle.

I know you have a paper trail on this and if they ask for it, give them only copies. It won't be intentional, but figure you would never get any of it back. Unfortunately you just have to keep pounding that bent nail.

Biffster likes this.
  9. Biffster

Hey an update as I am approaching the end of SIX (6) months since the dealership has received my truck:

Here is what they have done:

I don't need excuses like Covid, Not stocking parts, global shortages, ...
    What will happen WHEN they find some internal damage?

10. Biffster

Oh you are going to love this!
    Back on Nov. 9, 2020 After many run arounds I finally was able to establish a case number with Ford in reference to extending my Bumper to Bumper Warranty
    Today, almost two months later with NO response, I called Ford Customer Care with my case number and was told the case was NEVER routed, so no action has been taken! I was assigned a new Case Number today.
    So I guess I am special and Ford has elected to TOTALLY ignore my engine fire and claims. I say that as it has been six (6) months in the shop and no repairs and two months of ignoring my requests for an extended warranty.

You can't make this stuff up!

11. Biffster

Called the customer care to inquire about my new case number. Was told it was sent to the Legal Department and it will be 15 business days till they respond via snail mail!
    So it will be Feb. until I find out if they are willing to extend my Bumper to Bumper Warranty.
    I guess if they do that for me, they would feel they would have to do that for all the other Fords that have been at the dealership for OVER six months waiting to be repaired!
    I feel like I am trying to beat an anvil to death using a ripe banana.

12. Biffster

Almost 7 months now. I expect the truck to be ready this Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 Capital Ford said they have put over 200 miles on it with no issues.

Called Ford Customer Service to follow up on my case to extend my bumper tp bumper warranty. She is looking at the computer and says the "Case Manager" will call me by the end of the day to let me know the status. She's looking at the computer!

13. Biffster

Never received a call yesterday. Today after talking to Three (3) Customer Reps., I was told I should have contacted my insurance company? Why should contact my insurance company when the incident happened under the Bumper To Bumper Warranty? Then I had explain to her the mileage on my truck at the time of the engine fire and I still had 5 months left on the 36 month warranty! She is looking at the computer???????????? Then she tells me I need to contact the legal department? Why? Because it was a fire! I can't make this stuff up!
    Hope this thread gives you a chuckle and make your day better, as "At least it is not happening to you"!

14. ifallsguy

Here are two names you need to know:

Frederiek Toney | Ford Media Center VP Consumer Services

Craig Schmatz | Ford Media Center Chief Engineer - Super Duty (due to his position, he want to dig into this as this is his wheelhouse).

Click on each and it will give you bios for both. I would suggest sending a registered letter, return receipt, to each. As I mentioned several months ago, outline exactly what happened, what steps you have taken in dealing with both the dealer and directly with Ford Customer Service. You might ask if they can assist in getting this moving.

Hopefully one or both will provide some assist.

Biffster likes this.
  15. Biffster

IFALLSGUY Thank you!
    Picked up the truck yesterday. Couple of minor things, but can't fault the Tech as they were items I installed and was a Ground wire not reconnected, BUT, always a BUT, truck would not engage 4-wheel drive. Gave a display of a wrench on the dash! Back to the shop we went. Back in the loaner we go.
    This morning I wrote them requesting they do a pressure check on the A/C system as it is too cold to do a temperature check. (I don't want to return it to the shop in a couple of months because my A/C doesn't work and have to deal with who is at fault.)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >