Extreme Speed Crash Test - 120 MPH

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Greywolf, May 15, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

My 85 5.0 stang GT busted 30 mpg with ease on several occasions............. 5th gear, cruise control at 70mph, and lots of self control on those long open stretches of western highway.

2. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I had an '89 Taurus wagon that I could swear busted 41 MPG on one trip. I left it on cruise most of the time, and drove smoothly - blending lane changes into curves instead of making sudden moves, and all that. It was a 3.8 V6 with an AOD T-axle.

3. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

not denying this either.
    but it is making for a dumbing down of drivers. because they are "driving safer cars" they no longer have to pay attention to driving.[/QUOTE]
    I quite agree

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Another mileage trick I've used is to not accelerate too slowly. I've done mini-experiments with my Scangauge and found that just slightly slower than average "normal" acceleration from a stop verses too slow or too quick works best. If you accelerate too slowly it ends up staying in lower gears too long.

OldjunkFords likes this.
  5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i used to love the vacuum gauge that was in my 59 pontiac. i was able to get close to 20 mpg with that big old 389 4 barrel

6. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Get to speed fairly quickly, and don't drag it out.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >