F350 1989 7.5l

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Builds' started by Fordtrusty13, Aug 19, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

very easy. the hardest part is lifting the springs over the axle.
    i did the 4 inch lift in that truck by myself. took my time, did the front one day and the rear the next.

2. Fordtrusty13

Bilstein 5100 just ordered through 4wheel.
    Grill and headlights out, wondering if I should keep the oem headlights that are in relatively good shape and just clean them up or upgrade to something else? Input opinions anyone?
    Also I was thinking of hitting the metal areas behind the grill & headlights with Eastwood Rust encapsulator black, thoughts on adding a top coat of Black chasis satin ?

20210113_150354.jpg #ad

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

stick with stock headlights and switch to better bulbs, and relays drawing power direct from batteries. use the factory headlight wires to trigger the relays.
    i use sylvania 9007 silverstar halogen bulbs in my 88. made a world of difference.
    satin black rad support behind the chrome/argent grill will look good

4. Fordtrusty13

Hello everybody,

After hours of grinding cleaning etc hit the frame with Eastwood rust encapsulator followed by a top coat of their chasis black satin extreme.
    Was curious what people's thoughts or experiences are with the GM Tow mirror conversation with cpaddicts kit or possibly a different vendor? Was thinking the powered & larger mirrors might be nice.

20210114_154523.jpg #ad

20210114_154431.jpg #ad

5. Fordtrusty13

Hello,

Picked up my bilstein 5100 front and rear shocks. However I am finding it challenging to find front coil springs to accommodate the 4inch lift, any suggestions or recommendations? The coils I did find on 4wheel parts say they accommodate either a 3"inch lift or a 5" inch lift and im not sure which direction would be better to go since the bilstein 5100s said 4inch lift.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

6. Fordtrusty13

Getting the straps coated with eastwood rust encapsulator & chasis black topcoat then dropping the two new tanks & pumps. Any tips on getting the locking ring to slide and lock into place? Its putting up a fight.

Shocks came in, just waiting on springs to arrive then installing them. Ordered skyjack 4inch springs I found on their website.

20210121_144741.jpg #ad

20210121_144515.jpg #ad

20210121_144443.jpg #ad

7. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

lock ring is a royal pain in the butt. i grease the o-ring/gasket to help the lock ring slide on it, then gently tap the tabs with a brass punch and small mallett

8. Fordtrusty13

What kind of grease do you use? I'll have to pick up a brass punch this week.

9. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

anything slippery.

10. Fordtrusty13

Just to confirm, it goes gasket,fuel sending unit then lock ring correct?

Or is it fuel sending unit, gasket then lock ring?

Cant remember how it was when I took it apart and ive seen images via Google showing both ways.

11. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

gasket, sending unit, then lock ring.

and now that we have that straight, i put the dab of grease between the sender and lock ring.
    :banghead:anim

12. V10 NUT

Could try LED headlights. I know they make them to replace standard rectangular/round lights. FW Speaker has them. Rigid? Recon? Maybe. Not sure if anyone makes them for your ford. Just a thought.

13. Fordtrusty13

Update:

Sidemount and rear mount gas tanks have been installed. This is relatively easy when the bed is off. Still can't seem to find the correct rear top mount straps after breaking the original accidentally.
    Still waiting on springs to get in. Although my Raybuck front bench seat material arrived and I am very pleased with the looks of the quality. So stay tuned for me attempting to do that as well.

20210127_154628.jpg #ad

20210127_154623.jpg #ad

14. Fordtrusty13

Installed the rear 5100 bilstein shocks, went smoothly. Just waiting on the 4inch springs from rough country to do the front shocks. Ordered the GM double plate Tow mirror package from Cpaddicts that'll get installed at the paint and body shop.

Does anyone recommend a product to lift the rear also 4inches? I'd appreciate it if someone could share a link.

20210203_104710.jpg #ad

20210203_104703.jpg #ad

15. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i do spring lift. did you order the rear shocks for the 4 inch lift?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso