Fixing up an old truck

Discussion in '1957 - 1960 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by cnebuda, Sep 30, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The metal lines are probably in good shape - but the rubber lines that go from the ends of them to the wheel cylinders should not be trusted.

2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Bringing this one back up. Another item came to mind.... check out the condition of the "rag joint". Its the rubber piece on the steering column. It wears over time and can make steering very sloppy.

3. BKW Founding Member

No steering coupler (rag joint) until the 1965 F100/250 2WD's were introduced.

Prior years, the steering shaft includes the worm and goes directly into the gearbox.

Here's a pic of the 1957/60 F100/600 steering column, notice the location of the 3524 steering shaft & worm.

20161010155919.jpg #ad

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    OldjunkFords likes this.
  4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Anymore news? You're right at the age when I was sucking up shop classes in High School and hanging out in every driveway where anything cool was going on - you can find a lot of good parts that way, and a lot of people that are into it that will help you out!

What you've got there is not only a beautiful classic, but also one of the most HOT RODDABLE platforms you could ever want.

5. cnebuda

UPDATE: I managed to snag a few pics but i havent been able to work on it and it has just been sitting for a while. But I managed to snag a 4 barrel intake manifold (never used), Set of heads, mufflers, and a new (ish) set of non dry rotted tires that will fit it. A few new questions have come to mind. That drive train and frame are definetly not from a 57 f100 (at least from what I know). Any ideas? And say I wanted to buy a disc brake conversion kit, do i get it for a 57 f100 or whatever that frame and drive train are from? And the drum brakes are kind of sketchy, worth an upgrade? And if I were to purchase aftermarket wheels, would they have to be a specific kind to fit with the front locker type wheels? And thanks for all the support, this is a really cool website where you can learn a lot! IMG_1455.JPG #ad
    IMG_1456.JPG #ad
    IMG_1457.JPG #ad
    IMG_1466.JPG #ad
    IMG_1467.JPG #ad
    IMG_1470.JPG #ad
    IMG_1471.JPG #ad
    IMG_1476.JPG #ad
    IMG_1478.JPG #ad
    IMG_1485.JPG #ad
    IMG_1490.JPG #ad
    IMG_1491.JPG #ad
    IMG_1492.JPG #ad
    IMG_1494.JPG #ad
    IMG_1495.JPG #ad
    IMG_1498.JPG #ad
    IMG_1499.JPG #ad
    IMG_1501.JPG #ad
    IMG_1504.JPG #ad
    IMG_1507.JPG #ad
    IMG_1520.JPG #ad
    IMG_1535.JPG #ad
    IMG_1536.JPG #ad
    IMG_1537.JPG #ad

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

You've got what looks like a DANA rear axle on it (which is good) and a bone stock two barrel - going to a four barrel will liven it up, but take a look at the "Choosing your next carburetor" info thread on the main page.

The most important thing I can tell you right now is how to tell how old tires are....

There is a DOT marking on the sidewall of every tire. The mark begins with the letters "DOT" and there is a long serial number after it that tells who made it and where - but the most important marking in that string is in an OVAL stamp at the end of it

It will have FOUR numbers in it.
    The first two numbers are the week (out of fifty two weeks in a year) when the tire was molded.
    The last two digits are THE YEAR

Any tire over five years old is probably crap - and you need to be aware of that.

Suppose they are marked: 0298

That would be a tire molded (formed) in the second week of 1998

-and it would be way beyond trusting.

The last year mark I would tolerate is: 5211, and that would be pushing it. It would be a tire made in December of 2011

Rubber only lasts so long, after that it's your butt if you trust it!

Find the DOT stamp on those tires, and I can tell you exactly how old they are

~Wolfie

You have to understand that rubber breaks down over time and can become unreliable

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  7. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Rear looks like a ford 9", I think that's about the time Ford started building them.

I don't think Ford offered factory four wheel drive until about 1960.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

9" ford rear, 28 spline ( you can tell by the holes drilled in the ends of the axles)
    Dana 44 front axle
    Not sure on the transfer case, need better pics, but I think Borg warner
    Great drive train, change nothing, just rebuild the brakes.

9. LMS Residential Founding Member

The undercarriage of that 60 year old truck looks better than most 3 year old Midwest salt belt trucks. Again, great find.

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The big killer for rubber is exposure to salt and direct sunlight (UV breaks down rubber). If it were a garage kept vehicle, low miles, never seeing salt, and rubber conditioner used on a regular basis --- tires can last 10 years and still be in darned near brand new condition.

That's obviously not the case here, so I'm in agreement, toss the tires.

As far as disk brakes go, what are you ultimate plans for the truck, and how much budget do you have in mind for the truck in the near future?

11. cnebuda

Id like to spend less than 1500 on the whole truck. It will be mainly school transport and a hauler for my fishing boat

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I think with that budget you're better off just rebuilding the drums and putting in high friction/low fade pads to help with the stopping. It won't make it as good as disc brakes but it will be a lot better than stock.

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

drum brakes when bled and adjusted properly will stop that truck just fine.

14. BKW Founding Member

Dana has an inspection cover, do you see it on this rear axle? No, you don't...because this is a 9 inch.

If I could see the entire carrier, I could tell if it's a 9" or a 9" w/a 9 3/8" ring gear.

1959 was the first year that Ford offered factory installed 4WD in F100/250's (see pic for bona fides).

20161112183309.jpg #ad

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  15. cnebuda

can you tell if that's even the frame and drive train from a 57? Isn't that steering wheel from a 70s truck?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >