Foam smell /

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by mete, Mar 31, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mete

FTZ, it's not a mater of synthetic !! There have been lots of synthetic fabrics that have little or no smell. The problem is 'made in China' .There are no standards and no American company wants to make standards$$. Apparently ALL upholstery for vehicle or home are now made off shore mostly China. That there is a smell or allergy etc no one cares except the customer .Allergy and cancer raters continue to increase because of this.

Grudge , as my custom fabric can be washed to remove the foam smell my best option , which I did today , was to order replacement of all foam parts . I did this from a Ford dealer .$ 1300 + $ 300 labor for my REG Cab F-150. Yes big bucks but I save my fabric .What I will do with my next truck I don't know !
    For you , just replace the foam parts you need a bit cheaper than my project !

2. mete

The deed is done ! But it was a small job when the people are handling jobs that cost many thousands of $$$.I was lucky to find a man willing to do a $300 job for me , it was much appreciated !!
    So with new FORD foam I'm on my way , I hope it works. The fabric was not original [ that stank +allergy ] The fabric was not ONS [old but never used ] but newly made, like velour ,. So a new truck would have seats with that new fabric .IF I could find someone willing to make the covering !!!
    Problems I don't need !

JWC 3, dustybumpers and FTZ HAIC like this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I hope it helps!
    I bet it looks great!

4. Truck Runner

Pictures when you get a chance!

5. mete

I was told that the fabric ,now 7 years old , is new not NOS, and is nylon. It's like the old vellure..
    012.JPG #ad
    lure .I've had a simple cover over it but still it's in great condition ! The tonneau cover is DiamondbackCovers , also 7 years old . They don't compete with the Big Guys but look for niche markets .Different configurations are available , check it out .
    Other changes are only HAM radio stuff temperially removed and running boards.

011.JPG #ad

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
  6. mete

If you need foam parts just go to your dealer who can show you all the parts on the computer. Just pick the ones you need from the proper year. I hope you don't need them all .That's a bit $$

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Looking good!

8. mete

And today she had her 90,000 mile service !! She's been very good to me !!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >