Ford Durango....

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by KW5413, Dec 19, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. BKW Founding Member

They were converted Fairmont Futura's. VIN will not recognize a Durango, because these were aftermarket conversions.

These were sold by "select" Ford dealers, but all this means that the dealers agreed to sell them. They probably only signed up a few dealers from the 100's they visited.

In2play likes this.
  2. In2play

Thanks. The old articles I read did say they were offered at California For dealers. I was trying to verify that. I stated my VIN matched a Futura to corroborate what was mentioned earlier in the thread, about buying fleets of them from the dealers and then converting them. The door jamb of mine has a "136" written onto the VIN sticker: and, has another sticker explaining how the vehicle was altered, etc., etc. I'll have to read that one better in the morning. It sounds like although the Durango was never part of the official Ford lineup, they did a prototype and went into limited production, but a decision was made to not go into full rate production. I sold new cars at a Pontiac & GMC dealer in 1981. It was slow. Plus, there were probably other considerations to not go forward with more. But, with them selling through Ford dealers there is at least some tie in to Ford. Mine has always had the Ford emblem on the tailgate.

3. BKW Founding Member

If the DSO code stamped on the Warranty Plate (thru 1979), or printed on the Certification Label (beginning in 1980) is 71 or 72 .. Ford vehicles were sold new in CA

4. In2play

23781058-076E-4285-81EC-C45FF0CCE3AB.jpeg #ad

28E809F7-0043-40A1-8974-544FAAB75338.jpeg #ad

5. In2play

Sticker in door jamb of my 1981 Durango shows altered by National Coach Products from car to truck, and even a serial number in the lower right: 90044

6. BKW Founding Member

Yes, but this isn't the Ford Certification Label.

7. In2play

The Ford Certification Label would show where the Futura was sold, but nothing specific after it was altered, would it?

C17986DA-C931-4F1C-AC7E-683898CC5684.jpeg #ad

8. BKW Founding Member

DSO code printed on the label...when decoded...will list the Ford district sales office (city/state) where the dealer ordered the vehicle.

But not in this case...what this refers to, I haven't a clue: DSO 86 = Recreational Vehicle Pool.

Fairmont was assembled in Kansas City MO (11th digit of the VIN - K)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >