Ford Oasis Report

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Oct 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Some, but not all of it is mandated, I think. It's supposed to be preventative, avoid problems, fix common complaints, etc. ---- usually does but they never seemed to get the 6.0L right.

2. zip TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

3. Paul Masley Founding Member

Yes Wolfie, they will do it. I took mine (Vic) in to a Charleston Dealership and upon picking it up, I noticed something was wrong. I went straight back and demanded to know what was done. It took backing the so called tech up against his toolbox with a threat of suit and he told me that he was told to detune the car and remove the police flash. I pointed out the car and said that you have five minutes to put it back the way it was. They refused. I called my credit card company and had them to cancel $1,200 of charges. I got an immediate meeting with the owner who I knew. His response was civilians are not allowed to have those flashes. When I produced my state officer ID, he basically kissed my ass and had the tech put it back. I now have a lock across the port. There have been five updates to my Vic and they are not installed. The State Police did the last for me. It has the latest for the 2012 Vics. And yes, the car has more balls than I do and I call her a lady.

Oh, by the way, the Oasis Report does not show the 2012 tune (evil smile), but does show the detune and retune that happened.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

In case you're curious, P71 verses regular Crown Vic PCM tune differences.

2005 P71 verses 2005 Crown Vic
    • 800 rpm idle verses 640 rpm idle. Mainly to keep the battery charged with the additional load of the radio, computer, etc.
    • Slightly different mass air transfer function
    • Higher predictive shift points (5100 rpm verses 4700 rpm)
    • PATS (passive antitheft system) is disabled
    • Wide open throttle shifts from 3 to 4 are firmer, all other shifts have the same feel
    • 129 mph speed limiter verses 109 mph*
    • Less torque reduction on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts
    • speedo calibrated for 3.27 verses 2.73 gears (this may be the biggest difference in horsepower "feel" verses the 11 HP difference there really is)
    • Less traction control (but it's still there)
    • Little more aggressive torque converter lockup schedule
    • Will shift down from 4-3, 3-2 and 2-1 at slightly higher speeds (38 vs 31 in 2nd, 79 vs 75 in 3rd, 124.5 vs 99 in 4th)
    • 3-4 wide open throttle shift is disabled until 127 mph, because these are horrible for transmission life
    • 5600 vs 5200 rpm 1-2 WOT shift points, 5400 vs 5000 rpm 2-3 WOT shift points, 5480 vs 5000 rpm 3-4 shift points
    Only significant differences between original 2005 P71 and later revisions of the PCM codes is lower torque converter lockup speeds (less power, more mileage), slightly more tip-in torque modifiers (feels just slightly more responsible but max HP is the same) and 11 mph speed limiter.

The P71 uses the slightly larger Marauder air box and MAF, giving it 250 HP verses 239 HP. The P71 will not operate properly with a non-P71 flash due to the MAF transfer function being different.

*Contrary to popular belief, there is no P71 with a limiter higher than 140 unless the PCM has an aftermarket tune. Early models had it at 130, later models had it at 129 through 2005, and 2006+ at 140 MPH. Some early 99's are the only exception. Ford let out by mistake a few with no limiter set - if they got them back in for service, it was set back to 130 with a flash update. The P71 isn't even capable of going much higher than about 130-140 anyways under ideal conditions (depending on altitude, weight of car with equipment, gas and driver), it simply doesn't have enough horsepower to get that fast. For example, a stpcl Ford lightning which has 130 HP more (stock) maxes at about 147 mph with the mirrors folded in under ideal conditions.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My buddy has an 05 P 71
    Only thing gets him off the line, is my 80 fox body with the 460.

Paul Masley likes this.
  6. Paul Masley Founding Member

Ken, I was aware of the above and the factory tune for the standard P71 and Hot P71 is different. There is two versions of it. One is cruise interstate and the other is pursuit interstate. The most used is the cruise interstate (129 mph) with highway gear (better fuel mileage). Mine is the supposed pursuit (138 mph) but does have the highway gear. It will not shift into O/D with WOT until it gets close to 130. My mechanic has told me that mine has the weirdest shift pattern that he has ever seen. WOT= 1/2 at 47 to 49, 2/3 at 96 to 98 and 3/4 129 to 131. Also, after the O/D shift, it still continues to pull hard. All shifts are hard at WOT. I have never hit the upper limit (felt it detune or cut the fuel off like in an overrev).

Both requires steel driveshafts. The regular Vic has an aluminum driveshaft. My tune was modified by the KSP and that is the reason I wanted it back. It gave it about 10 more mph, but I don't have the balls to see it. The car does not have enough front downforce for those speeds. It gets too damn light with the air under the front. I have had people tell me that they have seen the front start to lift (wheel clearance in fenders) after I cross triple digits. At 135 it starts to become a handfull, you really have to get on the wheel as the p/s is almost completely off. One wrong move and you will lose it.

Mine has been modified but by who, I do not know. Maybe the KSP. It has a larger throttle body, the intake is different from the regular P71 4.6, it has the Marauder Airbox with a straight intake tube and I do have open exhaust on it, so I would dare say that my HP is higher than the 250, I would say closer to 265. The weird thing about the car is that it is labeled as a P71, but has the Sport Special Edition package (sunroof/center console with shifter/full leather/air ride). I know it was special ordered for a KSP Trooper. The Oasis Report shows the first owner as the KSP. Also, when I tried to register it in WV, the DMV said the serial number was wrong. They had to photograph the dash and door VIN and see the original title before they would register it. It took four months to get the title. Ford does have the same number showing on the latest letter they sent me with the Oasis Report.

The reason I noticed it right off is my accelerator is real sensitive. It would always scuff the tires on a moderate takeoff, when it fell on its' face, I knew something was wrong immediately.

7. Paul Masley Founding Member

Charlie, even with 200K in miles, mine will still eat the ass out of a Police Charger! I have done it several times. The old magnum starts pounding valves at 125. LOL

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Did he do some engine upgrades on it? Reason I ask is P71s aren't terribly quick without a blower or significant engine work. 0-60 mph is 8 seconds on a good day (most of the numbers I've seen are in the low 9s), 1/4 mile times in the ~17 second range, etc. Even a supercharged Marauder has a +7 second 0-60 mph which is considered snail pace slow compared to modern (last 10 years or so) muscle cars which are in the 4-5 second 0-60 range.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Read this again this morning, and it may have come across wrong. It's not knocking the car... just that I've been there and have watched the technology quickly pass by what was once a quick truck. Most of today's V6 family sedans are as quick as muscle cars of the late 60s/early 70s. There's nothing, performance wise, with anything mid 80s and back, that compares to what we have now.

When I say I've been there... I sunk a lot of effort into my F150, it's supercharger, etc. only to have a boosted 6.2L 3 years later come out much much faster.... That's why with the engine coming out I've decided to build it to hold a lot more horsepower (because I don't want to do it again, lol). Here's an example of the pace of technology... a new Toyota Sienna minivan will do 0-60 mph in just a little over 7 seconds, 1-2 seconds faster than a P71! A new Charger RT bests a 4.6L P71 by 120+ HP! F150's are coming from the factory with 325 HP 2.7L engines which is 25 HP more than a 5.4L V8 did in 2004! New Mustangs, Camaros and Dodges, with the right option package are north of 700HP ! We're not talking about cars that simply bark tires from a light and chirp 2nd.... these are cars that are capable of barking tires and going sideways at 80 mph. Hell, stock Terminator Cobras are slow now and they used be considered the top dog 10 years ago.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  10. Paul Masley Founding Member

Last summer I watch a Sport break the tires at 80 and just smoke them for about 200 feet. I followed him the best I could and when I found him, I gave him that "I Gotta Know" look. He proudly popped the hood for me. Sitting under the hood on top of a 4.6 was a supercharger and a three stage NO kit. He told me that the engine came out of a Roush Tang and he added the NO kit. I ask him why the steel wheels and he told me that he could break the 17 inch aluminum ones and that he had to be careful as the NO would blow the O/D out of the transmission. He also said that with the wider tires, he could twist an aluminum driveshaft. I would say that the lower end had to be built to stand the pressure and to break them at 80, it had to at least have 600 horses and 500 pound of torque at the rear wheels. He could smoke those 50 series tires from a standing stop and hear it shift as he banged the auto through the gears before even moving. I would love to have mine that way but he has a lotta dollars under that hood.

11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'd love to be able to do some mods like that to this truck but don't have the money to sink into it and I value the fact I have a drivers licence. :)

12. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >