Ranger Got a question about 4x4 Rangers, can they FWD?

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Greywolf, Jan 6, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

When I say "little rangers", I mean the small trucks.
    Ford also called some of the f series rangers back in the past. Those all had dana 44, or straight axle up front

56panelford likes this.
  2. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Many years ago, I lost the rear U-joint in front of the rear diff on my 84 Ranger 4x4 while out scouting for deer. Being 60 miles from home on a deserted logging road, I simply slipped the drive-shaft out of the tail-housing of the transmission, jammed a red rag in the hole, tossed the drive shaft in the bed and slipped it in to 4-hi and proceeded 20 miles to the nearest town and replaced the rear U-joint in the NAPA parking lot.
    Never went over 45mph and the roads were very twisty gravel, felt "butt light" but I'm certain it would have made it home in this condition safely.

56panelford and JWC 3 like this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I crapped out a master cylinder in a k5 blazer years ago. ....
    Drove through north Alabama to Tennessee to a parts house. Stopped with the e break. ..,,

56panelford and OldjunkFords like this.
  4. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Yup I have owned a few, just being clear.

dustybumpers likes this.
  5. mete

What will we call the new Ranger , available in other parts of the world only=Ranger 2 ??
    Just confuse the customers.
    Alfa Romeo likes to repeat numbers .Mine was a 1970 but the number 1750 [displacement ] started in 1930 and the newest is still a 1750 ! Once I moved to a new area and looked for a good 1750 AR mechanic. Someone said I can help you with that . Then he hesitated , saying his expertise is the 1932 version !!:)

6. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

A Volkswagen truck (Rabbit based) will haul a motorcycle. I've seen it.

56panelford likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Guess it depends on the bike. It probably wasn't a Goldwing!

8. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

A 600-750 cc sized crotch rocket.

56panelford likes this.
  9. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

They were home owner trucks, in US specs. Hauled less than an el Camino.
    More like a ranger, problem was when loaded. The front, drive end, got lite. And traction, handling, got a bit vague.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >