Veterans Zone Got thanked twice today

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by F350-6, Jan 28, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Oh c'mon. You guys knew what you were eating at the restawrans on Magsaysay -- delicious local shrimp caught at the mouth of Sh*t...erm... Kalalake River and Subic Bay. It was weird how those shrimp were so tiny and odd-shaped. And the aromas! made you want to take a deep breath.
    And hold it.

You right Joe! Buy me air-conditioned Honda? (before Honda made export cars.) Community showers. Carry drinking water from the well. All those shots we had worked. A few nice homes but most were concrete or wood shacks with corrugated tin roofs. The Filipinos are what i liked so much, kept a smile on their face and 'happy talk'. Good folks.

Roger that. Titillations and Tribulations.

It is amaazing how small the world is.
    I ran into a guy at Wally World, we stopped and looked at each other...Aha! 35 years ago on a Med cruise we were both in VAQ-138, how the heck we could tell after hair loss and weight gain beats me. It's something...

Yessir, how do you keep doing that?

2. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

:()

deleted double post

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  3. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

aargh, sarcasm in text rarely works, i've gotta' write it like Greywolf does with zzzzz's or something...

"Yessir, how do you keep doing that zzzzzzzzzzz?"

No, it reads like i'm going to sleep. How about...
    How do you write that Dutch?

"Yessir, i like falling off the wagon ." :)

Ok, sorry, return to 'got thanked twice today'

4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You might just consider giving up on it while your still ahead...:rofl:anim

RexB likes this.
  5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The essence of military humor is far beyond sarcasm.
    "You WILL and another thing MOVE!" becomes normal...

Civilians do not have that, and do not accept it - it is beyond their imaginings

They cannot conceive of what is meant if an employer asks them: "DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS EXPECTED OF YOU?"

Perhaps they might consider sending resumes out to someplace else...

But if you sign that bottom line, you have no such option
    So about the only thing you can do is develop a wild sense of humor - and get TOUGH!

I suppose one of the things they don't realize they are thanking you for is an outrageous sense of humor

(and one you can't really explain to anyone who hasn't been there)

So they have no idea what they are thanking you for - but hopefully they never have to find out.
    ~It's a dichotomy

The primary purpose of the armed forces is to prevent any of our loved ones
    and friends from ever having to experience what we had to, might, or will

Or at least to scare the other side so much that they never try it

Now - an ordinary man won't go there. What does that say?
    The Australians call it "Stones of Solid Rock"

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. KingRanch01 Vet Zone

Clark AFB, best keep secret in the Philippines for Airman. 5 cent Sam Miguel beer and the Show Boat bar, wow what memories.

My family and I was at Home Depot and as I was getting back in my truck an older gentleman 70's saluted me in the parking lot so I returned the honor and my 14 year old son just stopped in his tracks and thought that was the coolest thing and asked why did he salute me when he thaught he didn't know I was in the military. So I stated that its a small group and after awhile you develop a look of pride and honor about one's self that others recognize since they themselves have been there.

Real truth, which I didn't tell my boy was that my front plate states RET. USAF VET, but still believe what I told him was true.

Seabiscuit, KW5413 and Greywolf like this.
  7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I have the navy version on my truck - I need to get at least two more for my cars, maybe three.
    Lucky me Millington is just down the road

8. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

"When the legend becomes fact... print the legend.''

;)anim

9. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Woohoo Angeles City! KingRanch01, you might share some wild tales in the WestPac Oorah! thread in Vets Zone :)

=

"When the legend becomes fact... print the legend.''

That rang a bell but i had to look it up - great movie now i've got to check if DirecTV "on demand" has it listed. Thanks

10. KingRanch01 Vet Zone

Spent many nights down town drink S.M. and Red Horse beer, then to eat that specialized egg treat. The things we do for our country!

RexB likes this.
  11. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

AH! "BALUT"...

A hard boiled egg with the biggest and yummiest yolk you ever saw...
    I used to snack on quail eggs too - but the crew always thought they were Owl eggs for some reason.

*Balut can also be found in Mira Mesa California if you shop for ethnic foods

I used to wander around with a Red Horse in a long plastic bag in one hand, and chicken on a stick in the other
    (Barefoot people do not like sailors to wander the streets carrying bottles)

The magic words are "Station ditto"

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    RexB likes this.
  12. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Guess I'm the party pooper. Thailand was so much better and a lot more fun.....although, if you took the Sta 5 observers seat out and stowed it aft, my little GE refer and 23 cases of SM beer fit nicely there for our trips out onto "da circuit" in the P3!:angel:anim

13. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

You're right, Thailand was better. I'd like to have been there more than the once. And the PI was fine for an adventurous swabbie :)

You were a lucky dawg getting all that storage room for personals. We had to open up a void onboard, stash our stuff, and hope nobody noticed. Only at the end of cruise could we pack the hangar bay etc with our goodies. Then the customs inspectors got to go through it.

Jim somehow i don't picture you as:angel:anim

14. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Coming home from a "cruise" was much, much different that going out on the circuit. Coming home from cruise, we had a bomb bay we could fill up, not so much "out on the circuit".

I'll have you know I was an alter boy.:angel:anim

You're not suggesting that the United States Navy was a bad and corrupting influence on a young man.........are you?:think:anim

15. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

You friggin' airedales.

Nope, you're a :jimlad:

Certainly

*what's a jimlad? it looks like a pirate

:)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >