Guess what's in Ken's workshop building?

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by FTZ HAIC, Apr 30, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Camaro.

2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Pre-2000?

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2000 Camaro Z/28 (LS1)

KW5413 likes this.
  4. texastech_diesel Texas Chapter Founding Member

Slick.... yet useless w/o pics :rock:anim

bigrigfixer likes this.
  5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

A Thumper.

Just remind dear Peggy that she can't outrun the radios.

FTZ Peggy likes this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

20150410_152150[1].jpg #ad

Got it 4 weeks ago. There's a back story to this. More on that in a few minutes.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  7. pirahnah3 Founding Member

Nice looking car, she will certainly go when properly motivated, looking forward to seeing the build and hearing the story.

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The back story.... hang onto your seats!

Rolling the calendar back to August 2013. I'm hanging on a tech site reading some posts and some guy starts a thread about having a somewhat large but not huge forum. 1.7 million posts give or take. He says it's dying, he'd lost interest a long time ago so he was asking if it was worth selling. He didn't say in public what it was.

I contact him and share my experience. He tells me it's www.z28.com, so I take a look. I see old software, hardly any posts (under 20 per week), no enthusiasm left, etc. Basically, what was once a vibrant enthusiast site was left to whither. He didn't intend for that to happen, it did. So I end up buying it from him. Since then I've upgraded the software to Xenforo, setup an article system (different from here), start contests to get interest going, contact many old members to let them know I'm working on reviving it, and getting a couple of the last few remaining users on board as moderators.

With help from some dedicated people, it has grown to between 25-100 posts per day. Not huge, but a huge improvement over what it was before. The site is slowly growing every week. It helped me want to get back to my roots even more with a Ford truck site, something I really loved doing.

I started a search for a Camaro shortly after I bought it, I don't believe in doing things I have no stake or interest in. Every time I was ready to pull the trigger, that #@!^&#! 6.0L Powerstroke had one problem or another, even the stupid sun roof jammed up and started leaking. It wasn't until four weeks ago that the right car for the right price at the right time happened.

Peggy was very "eh" about getting it, I can understand.... she's been a Ford gal all her life. Even her father had an F150. She got to drive it home from the sale. By the time she got back home she had changed her mind. :) So we're both pumped about it, especially since we're doing this as a project together. This is the first GM product I've owned since I was 17 (I totaled my Mustang and my parents took me to get a car of their choice, a Chevette :().

This Camaro is completely foreign to me, but part of the excitement is doing something completely new. And there are good folks there at z28.com, like here, though I don't have the history of breaking bread with them as I do here.

9. pirahnah3 Founding Member

Interesting story about why you got her. Looking forward now to seeing her torn down with a plan of the deep surgery to her and then the revival of her.

10. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Right on Ken, happy wife happy life huh

56panelford likes this.
  11. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

He's owned the Roush since 06. What Ken is not saying is that I've only been behind the wheel twice!

The first rebuild I did with my dad was a 56 Chevy 265. I was always hanging out in the shop with him, and he got tired of hearing me ask questions about what he was doing, so he handed me a wire brush and said "go over there and clean those!".... The rest is history. I was about 11-12. I was the one to get in all the tight spaces. Don't know how many times I have been in the engine compartment. Can't remember how many wrenches and sockets I was sent after.

Still skeptical about the Chevy. Never owned anything but a Ford. More than anything, its something to tinker with.

56panelford and Campspringsjohn like this.
  12. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

Gets terrible mileage. My feet are just heavy I guess. Get it from my mom the dirt track driver... ;)

SpringerPop likes this.
  13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Chebbys are pretty easy to work on.
    I had a few birds of that era, basically the same car
    They do handle different that Fords of that size, and they DO break easier.

56panelford likes this.
  14. LMS Residential Founding Member

A turbocharged LS1 will be scary fast. Subframe connectors (or a fully boxed frame?) are in order. That motor will twist that car stock like a pretzel on launch. 6 speed or auto Ken?

15. pirahnah3 Founding Member

lol I can relate!! dad used to do that to me, granted that was before the growth spurt. I also was always called on to paint the keel on the boat.

FTZ Peggy likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >