Heating a small shop SAFELY

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Greywolf, Dec 3, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I work all day 40-50hrs a week in huge, un-heated metal buildings with 20x20 bay doors that are always open and wind/rain coming in, at the plant.
    My unheated 35x35 shop with all the doors closed feels like a paradise by comparison.

2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I like my natural gas heater that puts out 45,000 BTU and will roast you out of the shop ...

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i have a 95k BTU forced air natural gas fired furnace out in the home shop, i just never ran the gas line out to it

56panelford likes this.
  4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

You must save a bundle on heating costs...lol

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    JWC 3 and Campspringsjohn like this.
  5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I dunno....might be a tad big for your application. But, should adequately warm things up for ya. :0

upload_2016-12-6_7-28-4.png #ad

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

yup. the dang thing is so efficient, you do not even know it is running

Seabiscuit, 56panelford and JWC 3 like this.
  7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Huh - looks like a GE-110 split spool from an F-14D.

~Unfortunately I need something a bit more explosion proof

56panelford likes this.
  8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

That's one big cigar lighter!

56panelford likes this.
  9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

"Yep, YEW and about 500 of your best buddies can all light yer smokes at one single time..."
    ~assuming ya survive the experience.

I once went jogging behind the test area at what is now Miramar Marine Corps Air Station, and I thought I was okay because I was outside the fence, and they weren't running anything but an E2-C turboprop engine on an outdoor hardstand

I forgot about the jet effect of the turbine engine that drove the prop through gear reduction - so I was VERY surprised when I was driven off course between one footstep and another & found myself two or three feet to the right of the path :wideyed:
    *It would have been very hard to explain if my shorts had been shredded and blown off... :shifty:
    (I was only wearing THEM and a pair of NIKES)

Tonight I'm running a test to see how much effect a small heater can have. I realized that I had a lot of stuff out in the shop, and all of it had to be warmed up - so what I'm doing is letting the heater run at a low setting to see if the average temperature out there will come up and stabilize once there is SOMETHING out there making a difference.

It's a small heater that might be thought of as a "CUBE HEATER". They produce a max of 1500W, but so does the (twice the price) Stanley heater that I was going to get, the only difference is airflow and branding. The theory here is that 750 watts is 750 watts (on low setting) and the same with the higher 1500 watt setting.

Energy is energy, if you apply the same amount to the same space the results ought to be similar.

~That touches on something I think the Global Warming nuts seem to miss. If the earth receives an average amount of heat and whatever other energy from the sun, and has a certain amount of latent energy from geothermal or other sources, and at the same time a percentage of all of that is radiated away out into space - there is no significant change in the quantity of energy available at any one instant "Globally".

*Nature itself (the earth as it evolves and gets older) alters microclimates. Get used to it

Geothermal energy in fact might bring out from the earth more energy for a while than we really want to spend, thus cooling the heart of the earth and it's mantle.

*In some ways, we can think of the earths mantle and latent heat as a large thermal energy storage battery. If it is ever used up, I wonder if attempts will be made to "RECHARGE" it? Hmm...

Similarly - wind energy is only energy that is transformed from one form of energy to another (kinetic to electric, and eventually to thermal)

Kinetic energy is also present in tidal energy

Even Uranium and other nuclear stocks can be thought of as stored energy. One hopes we will be wise in our use of them.

So in fact all of the above changes precisely NOTHING :cool:

*LIGHT is also energy, so I suppose if you wanted to waste a lot of energy out into space you could always put up a lot of lights pointing up into the air, but some of that will be refracted and re-absorbed before whatever is left escapes into the cosmos. But why would we do that, when we only have so much to begin with? Moot point...

Global Warming is the result of net warming in the form of thermal energy in the atmosphere and elsewhere, and not only is energy transformable into different kinds but there is a limit to both the absolute amount that is available, and it's concentration in various media.

*Large cities like New York have what is thought of as a "THERMAL CONCENTRATION" or "FOOTPRINT" where the average temperature is elevated locally, but it isn't necessarily significant. Did you know that Global Warming DATA correct for that? They down-correct the temperature from local weather and meteorological stations to allow for localized concentrations of heat as a result of industry and population (More heat generated in a smaller area)?

Frankly speaking the amount we can affect it as opposed to a solar flare is negligible

The quantity raining down on the earth is a constant, as is the amount radiating out from us. The total effect of mankinds interference is ZIP compared to a single volcanic eruption event! This is in reference to the inevitable mention of "GREENHOUSE GASSES"

The only thing you can really DO with energy is to transform it from one kind to another

So anyone who thinks we are being "BAD" has neglected to consider Mother Nature and basic physics

SUGGESTED READING: Micheal Crichton, "STATE of FEAR" Copyright 2004
    ~It has a wealth of to the point actual bibliography notes on what is really going on, and why "Global Warming" is a complete hoax

For one thing - the world sea level IS not, and has not risen appreciably

~and~
    The real issue is energy STORAGE. We shall only ever have so much, and ought to put it to good use

One day a dry and empty planet will orbit a used-up white dwarf star. Nothing will be left there
    But that is billions of years in the future

END of RANT - Now blast me, if you feel like it!

I'm guessing I just connected a case of dynamite to a battery and asked myself:
    "I wonder what THIS button does???"

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    56panelford and Campspringsjohn like this.
  10. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

That post deserves a bunch of "LIKES" Dutch!

Electric heaters: My FIL and I were talking about those things a few years ago. There's different types out there. Oil heat, fan forced heat, and the fancy radiant heat ones that come in big wood boxes! After all is said and done, we checked the BTU's of each kind, and guess what? 1500 watts is 1500 watts and it doesn't matter which heater you have. The heat generated is identical as far as the BTU's of each heater. So then it boils down to what type of heater you desired. All of them were rated the same as far as BTU's go.

56panelford likes this.
  11. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

1500BTU is 1500BTU however, there is the cost of the fuel/energy and the efficiency of its use in generating whatever number of BTU of heat.
    The only reason I bring this up is, locally electric heat while 100% efficient and the easiest to use, is also the most expensive form of energy for heating.

12. captchas

old thread but oil space heaters and paint don't mix. the oil in the air causes eye's in the paint. we have 4 shops to heat we use a old oil fired hot air heater that heats one no worries about monoxide as it's sealed combustion, the paint shop has a 75k btu mr heater ceiling mount direct vent running off a 500 gal propane tank the booth has built in electric radiant, the newest shop has h2oh radiant in the floor.while another has radiant ceiling mounted like seen in many car dealers again from mr heater,
    good running old oil fired hot air heaters can be found cheap. stick it in a corner with at least 1 distribution vent to the middle of the shop, a 35 gal drum filled with off road diesel to feed it. a 1 or 200 dollar shop heater that works wonders

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Propane heat and paint don't like each other as well. there is a lot of water vapor in propane. bad for setting paint
    He needs a paint booth with electric heat for paint

14. captchas

so true. portable space heaters , no matter the fuel won't allow a good paint job,

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Just get it good and hot, turn everything off, shoot, then turn it back on, and get it hot again

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >