Heating a small shop SAFELY

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Greywolf, Dec 3, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. captchas

still will oil residue in the air. if not from the heater from the air compressor's drier not doing a good job.

2. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Interesting about the propane heat and water vapor, as I just got a copy of the movie "the Martian" and watched it.

In brief: An astronaut is left behind on MARS because they thought he died in an accident. There is no way they can return to save him, so he has to figure out how to survive until the next mission to mars some years in the future. But he is the missions biologist...

The only thing lacking was water, he used the waste excrement from the other astronauts before they left as fertilizer and brought a lot of martian soil inside one of the hab units to make a farm. To provide water he burned the propellent left over from the mission so that it rendered WATER as a residual....

3. Scot Founding Member

I hear some discussion of using Jet-A in place of kerosene. Jet-A is cheaper and appears to be a highly refined kerosene with PRIST(sp?) added which is a de-icer. Any thoughts?

4. NRA4ever Founding Member

I'm using a King 5000 btu ceiling mount electric unit with a fan & built in thermostat.I heated a 1200 ft shop with it but my shop is well insulated. I plan to add another one to make the heat more even in the shop. This unit blows eat a good 20 ft but it doesn't affect my spray painting. It doesn't use a lot of electricity. It has efficient heating elements. It runs on 240 volts. It cost $167 on Ebay. With 2 I will have no problem keeping my shop toasty warm. It stayed 70 inside during our coldest days last winter

5. 1978 FORD Supercab

I would first insulate the building with whatever is the cheapest material that' fire resistant/ fireproof. Then go with a NON explosive Natural gas unit, with a fan switch, so no blowing on the fresh paint. A NONexplosive fan, easily mounted and removed from a window to remove any lingering paint fumes. That way, when you're done, you can just remove the fan and close the window. Hope this helps.:)anim

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >