Here Are Two Of My Money Suckin' Projects...

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by KW5413, May 5, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

My first car was a 75 transmission Am , I enjoyed it very much too..

2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I liked all of them thru...1979.

The 80s killed most cars. I didn't start liking them again until around 2000.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Lot of it started changing when we saw OBDII start becoming standard. Many manufacturers upgraded engine technology around the same time. The Ford modular came on the scene, the LS1 not far behind that, etc. But yeah, the decades of the 2000's has put the muscle car era of the 60s and 70s when it comes to performance and handling to shame - it's never been better! Styling needs to be bolder though there are some exceptions.

captchas likes this.
  4. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

No doubt the new cars today can run circles around the 60's and early 70's cars. But the new cars just don't have the style, curves, and especially the chrome of the classics. And there's nothing that can sound like the big block motors of yesterday being made today. I own 3 diesel trucks. I like the power and dependability of them. But the sound of a straight piped diesel I find very annoying. I'll take a V-8 with open headers any day over that sound of a diesel truck, or a dual exhaust with turbo mufflers if you want it a little quiet.

56panelford likes this.
  5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

That's pretty much what I thought. Then yesterday I ran across this... 1966 Pontiac 2+2 (Catalina)

A big boat with factory Hurst 4 speed, a big dog BIG block H.O. 421 cubic inches (6.9 in today's world). With Tri-Ps, cranking 380 H.P

0-60 IN 3.9 SECONDS. You read that right. 3.9 seconds in 1966...right out of the box.

". Car and Driver (March 1965) tested a Catalina 2+2 and recorded a top speed of over 130 mph (210 km/h) and a 0-60 time of just 3.9 seconds"

That's from a heavy weight at just over 4,000 pounds!

BEHOLD!!!

upload_2016-3-8_22-28-26.png #ad
    upload_2016-3-8_22-29-39.png #ad

upload_2016-3-8_22-30-26.png #ad
    upload_2016-3-8_22-32-24.png #ad

6. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

That is a very nice ride. No doubt a lot of the cars from the 60's and early 70's were very fast. But they did not have the suspension refinements that cars of today have. The brake systems, the tires, and safety features if involved in an accident.

How many collector car owners of today have modified the brake systems, better shocks and tires, installed A/C (that'd be a must for me anymore). I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with doing that. In fact, I would encourage it! Make them safer than before, more comfortable, and faster!

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

This was at our Thursday night get together last week. We had around 30 cars there. This 442 is a new, local, visitor. He bought the car out of IL a couple of weeks prior. The car is so damned stunning I just had to show it...1966 Olds 442. I should have taken an interior pic, as well. This entire car looks better than new. All matching #.

The red one is a 1967 442 that belongs to my son in law's Dad.

IMG_0436.JPG #ad

IMG_0437.JPG #ad

JEFF 442_B.jpg #ad

56panelford and Campspringsjohn like this.
  8. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Replaced the upper and lower arm bushings as the Nova was wandering all over the road. Scary when a car jumps lanes. Also, replaced the OEM 14.7 -1 steering box with a 12.7-1 steering box. Damn, the difference is like going to rack an pinion steering. Took a little getting used to but, I like it long time.

Fixed a/c as well. Still running R-12 and bringing C O L D air. Looking more and more like the Nova is going on the Power Tour instead of the T/A

:)

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Campspringsjohn likes this.
  9. captchas

KW
    care to help me fix up this newly found toy? another 70 real SS 454 LS 5 365 hp 4 speed that was built up. trunk was full of all the oem parts intake,vc's, q jet carb, cast iron manifolds. think the p/s needs your trick, way to easy to change lanes that's if you can keep the tires glued in place

0411171241.jpg #ad

0411171241a.jpg #ad

0411171242.jpg #ad

0411171242a.jpg #ad

whomrig likes this.
  10. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

the 70 ss brings back memories for me......

11. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

This item needs to be shipped to Melbourne, KY. There's a guy there that knows how to work on these cars. Though he may be slow, it's worth it in the long run. He goes by the name of John. I know him personally, and his work is good. Well, actually he just likes to test drive vehicles a lot! Though he can turn a wrench too.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You want him to send the tittle too John?

13. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Oh no,,,,,,,it's not me, but another guy named John!

14. captchas

the 6 of us are capable of what it needs to have done. the 2 johns for the body and paint, joe and i on the drive line. lance and jeff on the needed frame work to remove the drag strip gear. cleaned the trunk out not only did it have the motor parts,it has new repo seat covers and carpet, console trim. newly rebuilt instrument cluster, stock oem shifter,
    it will be a winter project return to stock, since the 32 has to be done first

15. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

That '70 SS is my favorite of the Chevelle linage. Nice catch Cap. That's gonna be fun.

^-#

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso