Hesitation and misfiring only at 1500-2000 rpm.

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by lazbiker, Jul 20, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. lazbiker

Ok I disconnected and plugged the EGR valves vacuum line, I unplugged the EGR position sensor, and I removed the vacuum lines to the EGR Pressure Transducer and plugged them, as well as unplugging the electrical connector to the transducer. Ran it up to 1700 rpm. It died and the CEL came on. The code is 327 (EGR Transducer/position sensor below minimum voltage). I'm going to plug the electrical plug on the Transducer back in and see what happens.

2. lazbiker

After plugging the EGR position sensor back in, same result (but I've recently replaced that). I took off the EGR Control Solenoid and in doing so I noticed the wires were kind of hard from heat and the little cap on the round end fell off. I blew through and sucked on each port. Neither port allowed air pressure. One port allowed allowed air flow with zero resistance but only upon suction. The other port allowed airflow with resistance upon suction (I could hear the rubber diaphragm vibrating inside). Does this run off of a full 12 volts? How can I test the electrical solenoid?

3. lazbiker

I was reading about the EGR valve pressure Transducer and found out that it can feedback electrically and fry the brain. It's just a 12v solenoid so I took it off and tested it by jumpering it off the battery. It should simply click when 12v is applied. In one direction it did absolutely nothing. In the other direction it provided a nice spark shop and heated up the negative lead. That's when I noticed leads in the harness going to it. One is halfway friend and stiff. I think this probably friend the circuit in the brain, which I just had repaired back to factory spec for $200. Now I have to ask myself, since I just came across the evident cause of the EEC frying; did the EEC fry again??? Or is that feedback a "one time event"?? I did put the new Transducer on and double checked a couple vacuum lines that we're wrong. The truck still dies at 1700-1900 rpm.

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Pull the ecm, take it apart and inspect the board. You may see damage, burnt circuits or capacitors ......

5. lazbiker

Pulled the EEC. Besides the repairs that I just had done (before finding the bad EGR Pressure Transducer) I didn't see any evidence if damage. While the EEC was out I went ahead and replaced the partially crispy wiring to the Transducer. It MAY have prevented it from functioning properly.

IMG_20180723_150837.jpg #ad

IMG_20180723_150900.jpg #ad

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

It may be my phone.
    2018-07-23-18-31-14.png #ad

These two areas don't look proper.
    More the right circuit. ...

dustybumpers likes this.
  7. lazbiker

A VERY interesting thing happened today. I was asking a friend's opinion of the situation. The truck ran for at least 30 minutes waiting for him to arrive. After running this long it didn't die at 1700-1800 rmp. We held it there for like 3 minutes when usually it dies after 30 seconds or kess. So now I'm thinking the EEC is ok and it's something in engine management/emissions during warmup. He suggested doing a compression test on each cylywith all plugs out. I'm not sure what that will show, but he believes that will reveal the problem.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >