Escape How About Escapes?

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by OldjunkFords, Jul 15, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. ncranchero Founding Member

Thanks Bill. Hers is the Titanium level. I'll get her VIN, run it and see what pops up.

My 14 Transit Connect has the 2.5L non-Eco. I'm really fond of it. It is so much more "Americanized" than the 2010 I had, much better performance as well.

2. BKW Founding Member

The first 1.6L recall was a FIASCO because the gasket and O-rings could only be ordered by the customers specific VIN.

The parts could not be ordered for stock, then installed on vehicles.

1987: FoMoCo imported the Ford Sierra to the US, selling it thru L/M dealers as the Merkur Scorpio. It was a TURD from day one!

The car had not been tested for sale in the US, there were 8 different things that had to be replaced for the car to perform properly. One was the A/C blower motor, the original was so weak that a L/M service manager said that with the blower on high, it couldn't blow out a match!

All 8 parts were included in a "campaign kit" that the dealers had to pay about a grand for. Then when the parts were charged out on a "1863" (Warranty R/O), dealers would make a 25% profit on the parts.

I saw a way to make a lot of money, because I knew that some dealers would only order the kits for specific VIN's. I ordered 100 of these kits, even though the L/M dealer that I was the P/M of, had only sold 9 of these cars. It wasn't long before we were getting phone calls from frantic customers that had bought the cars elsewhere, asking if we had the kits.

After selling 75 of the kits, I ordered 50 more...and within two more months, had sold all of the kits. Then I ordered 25 more.

At the dealers Xmas party, I received a nice present, a check for 10 grand, because the profits we made from the kits, paid off the dealers huge Rotunda tool bill.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Merkur ... That is one to forget ! Havent seen one in years .
    A guy in town had 4 of them . Part of the time ONE of them was " drivable " .

56panelford likes this.
  4. BKW Founding Member

The Merkur XR4Ti and Scorpio were sold in Europe as the Ford Sierra, but couldn't be sold here in the US, as GMC had trademarked the Sierra name.

Since these cars were only sold thru L/M dealers, they were called the Merkur, the German name for Mercury.

The XR4Ti coupe (introduced in 1985) was not fraught with the same problems as the Scorpio (Scorpio came with the 2.9L V6 introduced in 1986, replacing the 2.8L V6 used in 1983/85 Ranger/1984/85 Bronco II). FoMoCo told L/M dealers it wouldn't be too long before the XR4Ti would be outselling BMW's 3 series, but that never occurred.

The XR4Ti came with the same problematic 2.3L turbo 4 banger that was available in 1979/86 Mustang/Capri, 1979/80 Pinto/Bobcat. The car was also fugly, as homely as a mud fence.

FoMoCo also waaay overpriced the car, so sales were dismal, it went bye bye in 1988 along with the Scorpio.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have another b**** about my Escape besides no oil press. gauge.
    Who is the moron who gave it a 16 gal. gas tank?............not cool if you have long commutes.
    Other than that, it seems very good!

56panelford likes this.
  6. BKW Founding Member

The current Escape (2013/2015) has a 15 gallon tank.

When the low fuel light comes on, I've never been able to put any more than 11 1/2 gallons in my 2013's tank.

The car is going bye bye very soon, as the 3 year lease expires 10/15/2015, but I received a notice about 6 months ago that I could turn it in any time without a penalty, as long as I either bought or leased another new Ford.

I'm gonna wait until the day after September 15th (last payment due), cuz I may not get another new Ford.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Seems like a 4x4 SUV should have more fuel range..........Our Explorer has 23 gal. capacity and gets similar mpgs. (mpgs does not seem to be the 3.0 V-6s strong point)
    I guess it's a FWD mall crawler SUV?

56panelford likes this.
  8. BKW Founding Member

2013 Escape SE FWD = Daily driver econo-box that, due to its height, is very EZ for me to get into/step out of.

I leased it 10/15/2012, it currently has 4,207 miles on it.

Prior, I had a 2011 F150 Lariat 5.0L 2WD Stupor Crew. It drank gas, the step in height was horrible even with running boards (there's no left hand grab handle available, so you have to grab the steering wheel to get in) and the leather seats were as hard as a rock with little padding.

The 2015's now have a L/S grab handle, but a similar equipped 2015 Lariat costs...at least 5 grand more than the 2011 did (my 2011's MSRP was $39,990.00).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You don't drive very much...........
    I drive 21,000 miles a year JUST TO WORK AND BACK!.........I can sleep during the commute.....the truck knows the way.

56panelford likes this.
  10. BKW Founding Member

I'm retired, so don't drive that much any more.

When traded in: the 2011 F150, it had 7,101 miles, prior 2008 Fusion had 8,150 miles, prior 2004 Lariat Stupor Crew had 5,001 miles.

I replaced the 2004 F150 (it was a fraught with problems POS!) with a 2004 Titan SE Crew Cab. When I traded the Titan in on the Fusion, it had 3,738 miles.

11. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I want one of your trade ins!.............minus the Cali emissions package.

56panelford likes this.
  12. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

You trade vehicles before they are even broken in !
    I had 408k on my 73 VW when I sold it to a customer at my shop.
    I had over 400k on my 81 Chevy truck when I traded it to a friend .
    My last work van had almost 500k on it when my company replaced it .
    That said , I think 180k on my 04 mounty is low mileage !
    I will not pay more than I payed for my first House for a vehicle ! I will buy used .....
    And , No , my first House did not have wheels !

56panelford likes this.
  13. ncranchero Founding Member

That is the biggest reason my Mom likes her '05. My daughters '02 has the step bars which are for looks I guess but it makes getting out a bit less easy. My '14 TC is so easy to slide into and out of. Quite fond of this little van.

14. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've got a 84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 with almost 545,000 miles on it.............nobody would want it, so I keep it.
    It's got a burnt valve on no.2 right now but it still runs strong, and I will get that taken care of before cold weather starts.

56panelford likes this.
  15. V X Founding Member

We have an 05 pushing 230k now. Thinking about a leftover 15 or 16. Any opinions?
    Thanks.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >