How about Explorers and Aerostars?

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by mediaman67, May 1, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Right on Charlie, I still have my 96 XLT in great shape, it has the 5.0L with AODE transmission..... great for snow plowing

2. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

We built a 85 B2 with a 351w................It was about like graduating from a Cessna 172, to a F-15 Eagle.
    It took a very steady hand to keep it under control.

3. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I guess so, that would be a riot to drive/aim, lol

4. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

We made a guy in a late model vette feel so embarrassed, he slunk away down a side street.
    $70,000 for a vette......
    Getting your ass handed to you by a 30 yr old rattly truck.........priceless.

5. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I bet he was surprised, lol......... who ended up with that B2 - 351

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

LOL..... until you tried to turn a corner at any significant speed. :)

7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It belongs to a guy we used to work with, now retired (him not the B2) he still drives it on occasion just to show off. has a $5 grand paint job on it, and the interior from 90s Explorer sport.

8. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Turning is optional.

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Having compared wheel bases when I robbed a 3.83 Limited Slip axle out of an Exploder at a local salvage yard, and also eyeballed all of the suspension stuff on it as the axle was being removed - my thought everytime I see an Explo is "WHY in hell didn't I start off my V8 Ranger project with THAT chassis under it?"

It really is a much bitchener chassis than what you find under a Ranger. The price is right too. You can get a scrapped Explo for around $500 and peel off the body.

They did a lot to the suspension stiffening, Ranger frames are around the same wheelbase but without all the goodies.

Next time you're in a boneyard take a peek underneath a few and compare.

WHEN YOU HAVE A PRODUCTION VEHICLE that is splattered all over the news for instability, the obvious move is to incorporate major suspension modifications - and they did.

~But it was too late.

ERGO: I see an Explorer?
    I think: "PARTS!"

10. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Thx for the info Dave

Well said Wolfie, I agree

11. BKW Founding Member

When the Explorers were introduced, they came with D rated tires.

But circa 1985, Ford replaced the D rated tires with C rated tires, then underinflated them (against the advice of Firestone) to give a cushier ride.

Explorers began to roll over, another factor was the rubber that Firestone used (Firestone owned by Japanese tire maker Bridgestone) was defective.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Watching a lot of these idiots out here, I'd be putting driver error on 60% of the rollovers
    who whips a high center little truck hard to go around somerthing at a high rate of speed besides an idiot?

We have has 2- "2 wheel" moments in our "sploder. One, a snow plow shot a berm of snow in front of us at 65 mph from a side ramp ( J was bring me home from surgery in a blizzard)
    Second time was an accident unfolding around us, and she did some great driving.
    I agree the little truck could have gone over both times, and maybe because my wife is a CDL driver, and a damn good one,or maybe Someone was looking out, we came through it

13. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That was a disaster for Firestone but I got a new set of tires out of it

14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Do you mean 1995, not 1985, :)

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Don't forget that internal docs showed engineers knew of problems with rollover, and that they weren't only because of the tires. They knew the center of gravity was too high especially on the V8s, proposed changes to lower the engine but Ford didn't want to do it because of the expense.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >