How about Explorers and Aerostars?

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by mediaman67, May 1, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. macman_85602

Back to the original thread How bout a "Smaller Ford Trucks" that covers vans and SUVs and a "Other Ford Vehicle" that covers other Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys. Broncos would land in with the regular trucks though.

2. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I see E-Series vans and Bronco's have no home yet either.

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I THINK I HAVE A SIMPLE ANSWER...

For now, just start a thread in this FORUM AREA titled "AEROSTAR" or "BRONCO II" or whichever.

As more jump in, and Ken gets to it (and really - there is one HELL of a lot he's busy with right now) those can eventually become the head of topic threads for new subforum areas.

In this way we can guide the process, without being too burdensome since it is a new site and I have no doubt at all that he's busier than a one legged well digger in a butt kicking contest...

Later on when things mellow out, it will all come to be, but for now we can at least launch threads that are specific to the model lines we want to talk about.

Sound real?

4. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's the cleanest used Ford Explorer I've ever seen. Drove, sounded, felt and looked brand spanking new. One owner, no kids, non-smoker. 64,000 miles. Frankly we were blown away how good it was kept, even the driver's leather seat looks factory fresh. We did well, but we've looked at countless Explorers for Peggy before settling on this one. :)

dustybumpers and FTZ Peggy like this.
  6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I think it's interesting that the front end appears rounded, presumably to improve airflow and mileage.

I noticed much the same about the newer Focus cars. Ford seems to be doing things to clean up airflow around new models.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

NICE!!!!
    I love our 96 'Sploder!
    I know yours is a "bit" newer, but it is from the same platform.
    They are a great little car. Easy to work on, easy to drive. etc
    I hope it does you well!

FTZ Peggy likes this.
  8. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Congrats Peggy, I had a 2006, liked it so much I traded for a 2010 limited...... cheers

FTZ Peggy likes this.
  9. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

10. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

Yeah, especially sporting my bifocal sunglasses.:rofl:anim

dustybumpers and 56panelford like this.
  11. Scot Founding Member

So what is the max torque rating on a 7.5"? I am wondering whether to go to a 8.8" on my next project. 2002 Ranger with a TDI conversion at 150-200 hp and 300ft/lbs.

12. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

If you really want a bitchen rear axle for Ranger 1/4 ton - look at early Explorer rear axles in a bone yard.

There are 3.73 and 4.10 axles that are limited slip right from the factory, and they are 8.8 inch. 1989 and onwards year group
    *Mustang punkin's are compatible, including lockers

Typically they have rear disc brakes on them, you will have to rotate the spring saddles from the bottom to the top of the axle housing, or leave the old mounts there and get brackets from JEGS or SUMMIT to put mounts on the top of the axle housing.

Why I say that is because you can avoid heat damage to the axle housing tubes and use the bottom mount as a ladder bar mount later.

This gives you a new top spring mount, and a useful mount point to prevent axle rotation by adding a link to the bottom mount, comprende?

"Some welding required"
    ~Eh....

13. BKW Founding Member

1959 thru today:

If the AXLE code stamped on the Rating/Warranty Plate or printed on the Certification Label begins with a letter: Limited Slip.

If the AXLE code begins with a number: No Limited Slip.

JWC 3, 56panelford and dustybumpers like this.
  14. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Good to know

15. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Good info Bill, thanks

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >