It's Car & Truck Show Season.....

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by KW5413, Mar 21, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Not a Ford by a nice ride from my birth year...

IMG_0470.JPG #ad

2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Dad bought this Saturday. He was really excited to get it! It's a 1939 John Deere B. That's him you see getting ready to hop up on it. Same model year as he!

It's a hand start, 2 speed transmission with a high/low range. I never drove a poppin' John till Saturday. Hand clutch, and one brake pedal on each side. Dad said he used one back in the early 50's up on the farm for a summer raking hay. I sensed he wanted one real bad, but never knew why till we went and looked at it last week and he told me why. One issue this tractor will never have is a dead battery! And switching starters is real easy if you have company there when you go to start it. BTW, that is done by turning the flywheel.

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    56panelford and KW5413 like this.
  3. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Dual fuel--small rear tank for gasoline, once it's warmed up you can switch it over to the front tank running kerosene. I can't say that I've ever seen one with fenders, that must have been a fairly expensive option.

I've spent many an hour on a johnny popper. The first time you hurriedly stomp on that left turning brake for the clutch is a real heart stopper.

4. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

It was originally a dual fuel setup. But the back tank is not hooked up, so it runs on gas only. When I was a kid, we had a Farmall H that we used for cultivating. It had both a hand clutch and foot clutch. The hand clutch was necessary when using hydraulics and the PTO. If you had something like a bushog hooked up, and running, and tried to stop with the foot clutch, the bushog would push you because the PTO and the transmission worked together. You had to use the hand clutch to stop the wheels from turning and the PTO would continue to run. The B I noticed the hand clutch has a brake pad that runs on the Belt Pulley, and acts as a brake. Also learned that if you're going to let it sit and idle for a while, put the transmission in neutral and engage the hand clutch. If you don't, (belt pulley must be turning) the bearing by the belt pulley will get dry and burn up.

5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Another car show, another Ford Truck. WAY out numbered by cheys,though.

I will be involved with part of the Hot Rod Power Tour next week so I should have more pics from that...

IMG_0508.JPG #ad

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I need to get up to speed and find out the local show schedule. I don't know where all the time has gone but so far I haven't been to a single event this year.

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Now that just ain't right!

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Past couple of years have been like that. Not completely devoid of auto events, but it seems like I'm way too busy, intend to go to one and the next thing I know I'm doing the "damn, it was last weekend!" routine again.

9. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

From The Hot Rod Power Tour....

IMG_0554.JPG #ad

IMG_0555.JPG #ad

IMG_0557.JPG #ad

IMG_0558.JPG #ad

Campspringsjohn and JWC 3 like this.
  10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Nice econoline.

56panelford likes this.
  11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That car is a beauty.
    Seen this one at a show last weekend I attended
    Fort Frances Car Show 010 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

And I won this for my panel as well as best Ford which was a 3 way tie but I drew the low card and wasn't able to bring that trophy home Fort Frances Car Show 037 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

JWC 3 likes this.
  12. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Reminding me of my 53 .....

56panelford likes this.
  13. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

They are very nice looking cars with fresh paint on them..:)

JWC 3 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >