Mini-car Shootout (hatchbacks)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Greywolf, Oct 7, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I have enough vehicles now and no need of a throw away anymore now that I'm retired but who knows what I'll be able to afford when I do need another one down the road.:(anim

JWC 3 likes this.
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Getting my Grandkids makes me want a throw away van ....

bigrigfixer and 56panelford like this.
  3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The problem is that they are intended to be forgotten - so what happens is the parts to fix them become hard to come by, you have to find them or fabricate them yourself.

But if you have found a tiny four wheeled missile that can carry you all the way across the country with your dog that flies in the face of modern fuel prices, what might you do to defend that? Particularly if your object in life was to travel everywhere regardless what fuel prices have done or how little money you have...

The throw away cars are now prime investments, because few still have them. And they save so much money in travel that you can go anywhere you want to

Bring a tent and a barbeque....

All I really care about is running away to go look at everything I didn't have the time or money or support to when I was a young man.

I really don't care how I have to do that

I've always had a bedroll handy, and what is thought of as a "Portable Yellow Hilton"
    (tent)

At issue is only the concept of travel, really

Need I point out that the major difference between a tiny car and a MOTORCYCLE is that if the weather gets crummy :
    YOU DON'T GET RAINED ON WHILE DRIVING

You have heat, and you have air conditioning - and the rain and snow can go piss off!

*A chainsaw might be a useful thing to carry

The baseline here is 40+ miles per gallon

LIFE EXPERIENCE
    I want to run away
    I want to see everything
    Before I pass away - yes
    I just want to go and see it all

But one day there I'll be
    DONE - and wondering what I missed
    HOW can I prevent this?
    I don't think I can....

So what I should do is
    Find a way
    To take in all of it
    Anyway that I can do it

And this means what?
    I must go....
    I have to run
    Go and see it all before I am over

Do you blame me???
    Giddy and running before the storm
    Or the end
    There at last -
    Our chances run out

~Greywolf

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  4. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't care how great they make small cars.....................being eye level with the lug-nuts on a log truck is all the motivation I need to never own one.

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

You can pass right under them Dave, you have to look at the advantages that's all....lol

bigrigfixer likes this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's not the size of those cars that I don't care for, it's the style. I like Beetles, 240Zs, MGs, RX7s, etc... it's the evolution of the Gremlin/Chevette look that I don't care for... basically a compact station wagon with the rear doors taken out, lol. Not knocking your choices, variety makes the world go round. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like my vehicle choices, that's okay, I'm driving mine, not them, lol.

7. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

At a car show I was at the summer someone had drove in with a Fiat but it was one of the smallest ones I've ever seen, a golf cart was bigger than this thing. It was much smaller than the new 500.

8. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I still miss my wife's old 94 Firefly. Some road trips, lots of camping, commuting... Great on gas. When gas was cheap in the mid-late 90's, we'd fill it up for $20 and drive it hard for 500 kms.

The only problems with it was the drivers window couldn't stay in the track, and the door locks liked to plug up with corroded aluminum.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >