My rv battery box project

Discussion in 'Towing, RV's, Campers and 5th Wheels' started by bigrigfixer, Mar 2, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Wow this turned into a much bigger project than I thought it was going to when you started posting it here! Good work. :) I'd turn it into an article, if you're okay with that (this thread would be here too).

dustybumpers and bigrigfixer like this.
  2. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Absolutely!

56panelford likes this.
  3. OldBlackCat Southwest Chapter

nice battery box!!!!

bigrigfixer likes this.
  4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Should put a patent on it Joe..

bigrigfixer likes this.
  5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Question here, what (if anything) do you plan to do about corrosion control inside of there?
    In hot weather, electrolyte will evaporate, and may get to everything inside the box.

Overflow could also raise Cain, and bare metal, or even painted might not be enough.

Is Rhino-Coating an option?

How can it be made to last as long as possible, even if it gets parked for months at a time?

6. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Other than physically checking the electrolyte level, I hadn't really given it much thought. I do have a plastic liner under the batteries, as well as a couple of drain holes.

As for tending to the water level, I have a battery hydrometer to keep spillage to a minimum.

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Guess what? You're a STAR!

I just began the index thread, it will be updated as we have new stuff to list :hello2:

What you've done so far is more than enough to make us PROUD Buddy!!!!

I don't myself know quite what to suggest, except that fiberglass wouldn't be a thing I would use.
    ~Something somehow "RUBBERLIKE" that would bond to the metal, maybe. But rubber can crack.

I keep thinking about the kinds of materials used to form interior and exterior automotive body panels - most of them are thermo-plastics that have a melting point above 400 degrees F.

But I don't see how they could be applied.

Polyethylene is the most common one used to mold battery cases - it has a melting point of 248 F.
    ~It's a "THERMOPLASTIC" which means you can work it with heat.

There is a book out by Kurt Lammon, simply titled "How to Repair Plastic Body Panels" that is a must have, in my opinion.

It's where I got that info from

I got it because I wanted to know more about how to repair bumper covers, and it turned out I could do all kinds of things with a GUN type soldering iron that had a "SPREADER TIP"

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    bigrigfixer likes this.
  8. roxanneandjoe

9. roxanneandjoe

We have the same pair of golf cart batteries, just discovered the previous owner secured them with one piece of plywood(after inadequate floor support cracked) and I'm seeing the ground looking straight down, guess he didnt take too many trips after that stellar repair job-may use your ideas to secure ours,...dont want to see them in the rearview mirror tumbling off the highway.

wpnaes likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >