New Guy with '83 F-150 Carb Questions

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by DonnieChase, Apr 20, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Float is set too high. you need to open it up and adjust the float.
    Get the carb sort of fixed first, then we figure out the rest.

EGR is actually a good thing, it leans out the fuel mix.
    Will improve gas milage,it's not just for emissions

56panelford likes this.
  2. DonnieChase

We've opened the carb and adjusted the float many times. We had it adjusted (a tiny bit at a time) to where gas didn't run out the vent tube, and it wouldn't start/runs at all.

3. DonnieChase

And I'll get some rubber hose for vacuum lines next week (payday) to see if I can get the egr connected; I just don't know how much to get, what sizes to get, or where they all run to.

4. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Based on your description here, your needle and seat are not closing, possibly due to a bad float or the needle and seat does not seal properly.
    this looks to be a basic carb to rebuild. the truck will run without the EGR but I would make it work if it were mine. I also see a port to plug so you will not have a vacuum leak

5. DonnieChase

Okay, thanks. During the rebuilds (yes, with an "s"; it was rebuilt 4 times by a friend and my uncle...it's never acted right, either, having had the same problems the whole time), we discovered that the anti rock plate was
    missing. We've been wondering whether or not this was the cause of the problems??... To say the least, it's been really frustrating!!

6. DonnieChase

Okay, I've worked with the float setting for the last two days; same results. What port do I need to plug to stop the vacuum leak?

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Order a new kit for the carb that has a new needle and seat in it. get a new float too

You are beating your head on the ground, until you get the fuel level fixed.

56panelford likes this.
  8. DonnieChase

Do you know where I can get a kit with a needle and seat (and possibly the anti rock plate)? None of the auto parts places around my area have kits that include the needle and seat (let alone the anti rock plate!).

(P. S.: I don't have a computer, or access to one, and my phone is old, worn-out, slow, has constant "internal error" problems, and is only semi-functional, at best. Using it to browse the internet is a complete nightmare unto itself!)

Thank you very, very much for your help, DB--I can't tell you just how much your assistance means to me. Any and all info/assistance is greatly and deeply appreciated.[emoji1] [emoji109]

Donnie

9. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

I had a similar situation on an 8N ford tractor, several shops had rebuilt the carburetor, still would flood out. after a close inspection i found a casting flaw where the seat screwed into the housing allowing gas to bypass the needle and seat. new housing and it ran like new.
    but if your needle and seat haven't been changed I would start there.

10. DonnieChase

Thanks. I spent yesterday evening surfing the 'net looking for a rebuild kit with the needle valve and seat. NO ONE had it! Summit Racing, Jegs, J C Whitney, Rock Auto, Pep Boys, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, Craigslist, eBay--I tried EVERYWHERE, and STILL couldn't find one!! I haven't the slightest idea what to do next! :sigh: Damn....

11. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

2017-04-29-11-53-28.png #ad

56panelford likes this.
  12. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

My oriley has it also.
    Walker kit 15189c. ..... I think.
    15789 c

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    56panelford likes this.
  13. DonnieChase

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I'm gonna contact my O'Reilly's and order one! How much was the kit? The ones I got this year and last had no needle valve or seat! They cost just $22 or $23, plus tax...

14. DonnieChase

And I think they were Fel-Pro.

15. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Rock auto, my screen shot, was around $20 . Oriley was a bit more.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >