New Guy with '83 F-150 Carb Questions

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by DonnieChase, Apr 20, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. DonnieChase

JWC, he had no clue at first; made me wonder about his $130 fee, and whether or not he'd actually earned it, because he couldn't get it fixed. But then he told me that a part called the "anti rock clip" was missing from the carb, and that had to be the problem; in fact, he was willing to bet on it, after some thought. I asked where I could get one, and he said "Good luck. It's old enough that you can't find the carbs in a junkyard, let alone the clip. They're not in any rebuild kits, either, and it wouldn't even be a dealer item anymore."

So I thanked him, and paid him, and he left.

...and I still have a hunk of s#%t for a "carburetor"... [emoji36] Piece of [emoji90] ...

I'm completely at a loss here...

2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My thought, and JWC might conferm.....
    back in the 80's there was a lot of casting flaws in the aluminum.
    Is it possable that there is a hole in the fuel bowl that allows fuel to go into the idle circuit?
    I can remember soldering some Quadrajet bowls " back in the day"

Went down to my storage, and the only carb from that era I have is the feedback. Sorry
    At this point, I woild go to Rock Auto, and buy a rebuilt one, and send that one back as a core.
    there are several choices there, one is to rebuild yours, which won't work.
    Price from $130-250

Sorry you have has so much trouble. Doggone shame it had to end up like this

3. DonnieChase

I know it is, and thank you, DB. I decided last night to just get a reman carb; I've already spent over $100 on carb kits, $30 on parts cleaner, $20 on misc items, and $130 on labor for the last carb rebuild--$280 that could've been used to buy the reman carb, with shipping and the core...

And thanks again for checking to see if you still had that carb. Sooo...have you decided on a $$ for the header, 4-bbl intake, and 4-bbl combo?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Let me look at what shed alll of that is in...LOL
    probably will talk you into a split exhaust manifold from a efi truck, will be easier than the headers, and give you the same result. I have some of those here somewhere too.
    Believe me, I collected a bunch of stuff back then.....
    The offy intake is a "c" not a "DP"
    Which means it is open like a stock intake, not "dual plane"
    The Dual plane intakes were for the secondarys on the 4bbls.

The good thing about the c's, you can use a 2 bbl on them, and I think I have an adapter for that too. ( somewhere)

I'll try to round all that stuff up, and get you a price.

5. DonnieChase

Great! Thanks a lot, man. I appreciate your help more than you could ever know! Lol. Will I still need to use the EGR setup with these parts, or can/will I need to bypass/delete the EGR system?

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

there will be no EGR with this set up

7. DonnieChase

OK, thanks! [emoji109] [emoji106]

JWC 3 likes this.
  8. DonnieChase

Hey, DB, I nearly forgot: will that Holley need to be rebuilt? And will I need to buy the gaskets, or are they included with the parts? Thanks again, man! I really appreciate all your help! [emoji1] [emoji109] [emoji106]

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I'm in the hospital right now, so will be a while before I can dig everything up
    The carb was last used on my 83 truck that I scrapped in 2013.
    Most likely, a power valve will be all that is needed
    This is a 390 holley.

10. DonnieChase

Oh, man! I'm sorry you're in the hospital. I wish you as painless and speedy recovery as possible. If I'd known you were in there, I wouldn't've dreamed of bothering you! My issue is a petty non-issue compared to your health. You just get well, and thanks for the info, my friend. Let me know when you're home and how you're feeling, okay? Godspeed to you. [emoji106] [emoji109] [emoji120] [emoji123] [emoji2]

JWC 3 likes this.
  11. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Charlie is a great guy.
    Wishing a speedy recovery myself.

12. DonnieChase

Right on, bro!

JWC 3 likes this.
  13. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Yes I wish Charlie a speedy recovery too

JWC 3 likes this.
  14. DonnieChase

Dustybumpers, it's been awhile since we've spoken. I hope your recovery has been good, and as swift as humanly possible. When you've a minute to spare, please drop me a line or two. I'd sure like to know how you're getting along. Thanks, man.

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I am in the recliner stage. Walking in the yard, and misbehaving. I haven't forgotten you.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >