New Owner of 1966 F-250... Need Help!

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by rukus83, Dec 30, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. rukus83

Probably keep what I got for a while to learn on. Start thinking about upgrading to more high performance when I’m a bit more educated on mechanics. But I’ll definitely will keep that in my back pocket

2. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

You can get a lot of advanced stuff from videos at Eastwood.com, but the forums here tell you what people just like you went through - so you don't have to!

A lot of the people here only need to hear a SOUND and they know what does it...

Like "rapa tap tap" - that's a lifter with low oil pressure. (or plugged)

I can tell you this much, you are about to go on an adventure that you will completely love...

Because all of us want to know why things are

rukus83 likes this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Pictures please.
    I have NEVER taken a starter off a truck to replace it in 5 decades

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

that's only because you still bump start vehicles.
    i have never needed to remove exhaust to replace starter, even on the 66 428 car.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Naaaa. No bump start. all mine still have the crank

Seabiscuit and 1970something like this.
  6. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Greywolf is right about Jack Stands! Also have the wheels chocked. I agree about the exhaust, I've never had to drop an exhaust pipe to change a starter.

7. rukus83

Alright, I took a picture of the starter. Looks fine, not sure what that website was talking about. There's plenty of clearance without taking anything un-necessary off. It looks like it's a 4wd too. Stupid me didn't even think to ask, but that's good for me later if i decide to get a camper and need to tow it. Here's also a picture of the entire truck. Would like to get it repainted later and cleaned up a bit. IMG_2601.jpeg #ad
    IMG_2603.jpeg #ad

Seabiscuit, JWC 3 and dustybumpers like this.
  8. rukus83

Also, looks like the starter is a re-manufactured starter so i guess i don't feel bad since it doesn't have the original in it. seems pretty new though do you think it could be the starter still?

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My bet
    Someone put the wrong starter on it, and ate the teeth off, and they aren't making contact anymore

Go ahead and pull it to have a look.

Post a picture of the starter where the gear is, and then inside the hole ( where you unbolted it from) where it hooks up where the teeth on the flywheel are

10. rukus83

Looks like the part number is the same dl3131 on the label as the one I picked up from autozone.

11. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd pull it and get it tested before I put the new one on. I removed one for my dad laying in the 1000 Silver Dollar Bar gravel parking lot on the Idaho-Montana border when I was in high school. IIRC, one bolt was a bit of a bugger, but it is doable without much trouble and leaving the exhaust alone.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My bet. wrong flywheeel.
    teeth aren't lineing up. when you start the truck, it whacks the teeth off the starter a little bit everytime you start until they are gone
    Only way to tell is to pull it off the truck

Tom mentioned earlier that he guessed a bald spot in the flywheel from same thing

Is it a manual truck?

If so, put it in gear, push the clutch in, drift it back a bit, and let the clutch out. it will bring the truck to a stop, but will also put the flywheel in a different spot

try to start it then, and let us know the results

13. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

Charlie, if you listen to the videos in post #7 you will hear it is not the ring gear, rather a crappy auto store rebuild where the bendix is bad and not kicking the drive gear into the ring gear.

JWC 3, White 97 XLT and dustybumpers like this.
  14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

There ya go.
    Bill suggested some places near you. Get a new, quality starter.

JWC 3 and White 97 XLT like this.
  15. White 97 XLT

I would rather do with out a part than buy from Autozone!!! I would trust one from the junk yard more!!!! We put 5 "Don'last" from the zone on my son in law's '94 S10 (he bought it there without asking) and got less than a week out of each one... I took the last one back and got our money back and went over to NAPA and paid just a bit more and it has been working since 2004...

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >