New to forum. Just bought a 1953 F-100 to do frame up retoration.

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by KT53, Jul 28, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KT53

IMG_3456.jpg #ad
    IMG_3779.jpg #ad
    IMG_3779.jpg #ad

2. KT53

Hi

Its been a while since my last update. Got all the mechanics done and now sand blasted and stripped all the panels down to metal.

3. KT53

Can anyone help me with a few questions. I have my frame and drivetrain all done. Does anyone have pictures or instructions on how to mount the bed cross sills to the frame and bed mounting instructions. Thanks Ken

4. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

hey Ken
    all my pics are with out the truck under them.... I built a mock up bed frame to set up the bed and wood, but it has same dimensions as the frame rails. You have 3 different cross members.

the front mounts right behind the cab and attaches to the brackets that mount to the outside of frame rails

[​IMG]#ad

the middle two cross members are identical but because of the hump in the frame rails should point opposite each other so the tops are flat...

[​IMG]#ad

the rear crossmember mounts at the end of the frame rails with the open side pointing down

[​IMG]#ad

here's a general picture... think of my supporting structure as the frame rails

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

don't forget your rubber shims for squeeks
    hope these help
    john

5. KT53

Wow Thanks John This is exactly what Im looking for. What kind of wood and thickness are you using..

6. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

wood was white oak from Mid-50 and it's 3/4 if I remember. There are lots of wood vendors on line
    [​IMG]#ad

7. KT53

That looks amazing. Thanks.

8. KT53

OK I have been working on the fenders and I am considering buying new front fenders. The best price I found with shipping so far is Auto Metal Direct. Anyone purchase from them.

9. KT53

Hi John

I have to put my truck on the 2 post lift to put 9" rear end in. I believe the only way to do so is to take the running boards off. Have you had similar issues..

10. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Img_3509b.jpg #ad
    rackpad.JPG #ad

mine has been on a 2 post for exhaust work... they have to use the rack pad with a taller tube extensions or raise the metal rack pad to the upper position

11. KT53

Thanks John

I had to use 2 taller tubes and it wasn't stable enough for me. Way too much movement. I may have to just take running boards off so I can use just the one set of tubes..

12. KT53

I don't know if I told you. You can see this build and others on my son's Youtube channel lowboostfilms
    Thanks again

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >