Veterans Zone Oh no another coffee thread. + coco :)

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by RexB, Dec 24, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Good idea to close it off to vehicles, that route was said to have eaten more than pickup trucks. Is a nice place for a state park. And there is (or was) a 4x4 romping ground of low hills on around Kaena Pt that was a fav for 4wheelers. Beautiful part of the island in the summer. The wind and waves got pretty rough in the winter, we couldn't snorkel there then.

Was that a nuke storage area where the folks got their vehicle shot up? The Marines take that real serious, don't they. I was on a boat loading nukes over at the naval weapons depot before Westpac, and our Supply Officer had to get a last jog in before we left. He ran about 40ft from the boat and the Marines tackled him on the asphalt, others had him in their sights. The skipper was saying 'Dammit, it's the chop again.' ('chop' is a supply officer, he's got to sign, or chop, all supplies going in or out.) I heard later during the trip that he regularly got into problems by being 'stoopid'.

My Folgers was good this morning. How was your brew?

2. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

My Folgers was excellent. However, after spending half the night packing an Elk out that I shot around 1538, Coffee seemed to be the wrong medicine.

Yep, they had absolutely no sense of humor for those things. It was similar to the AUW compound Subic Bay / Cubi Point Some of us with special weapons training were assigned to supplement the Marine Barracks in case of Broken Arrow, Riots or if the Poi or Hammerheads struck back. Those folks didn't know how to hold a Broken Arrow drill during normal hours. Always had to be between 0130 and 0330. Their favorite time was right around the time clubs closed which drove everyone back inside and locked the base down.

3. captchas

marines?? were they not the ones always hanging over the LSD rail in a storm?

4. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

No, they were the ones laying out on the deck or playing spades while the swabbies cleaned and painted something.

5. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

My best bud, Marine Sgt., 100% disabled 3 tour Vietnam Vet, (murdered in our elk camp in 2003), would always chum for fish when I took him out on the ocean fishing. We could never catch fish until he started puking so we could start catching fish! Became a standard joke. But, like a true fighter, he never turned down a trip out on the boat. I'm sure we tried every form of sea sick med out there, including Rx, and never found one that worked!

6. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

[​IMG]#ad
    peein' and walkin' would get uncomfy. Congrats on the elk.

Those were tough teams. And warped sense of humor while all the partiers were trying to stagger back to the rack or serenade a girlfriend to somewhere. In town we had to keep an eye on the clock, the locals (maybe with Navy encouragement?) took the midnight curfew in town pretty serious too. The girls were real good about warning us, remember? (oops, does mama-san read this?) [​IMG]#ad

7. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Rockin and rollin in a gator freighter woulda' hurt em hard -- I gotta' love Marines but even riding in a flattop on a calm sea would get 'em heaving.

captchas, i saw on the news that the Enterprise is decommissioning at Newport News soon. Over 50 years service. Whew, where does the time go.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  8. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Considering the current results of some surgeries I've had to go through since Jan of 2013, I'm getting pretty darned good at that peein' and walkin' thing. In fact, I just spent 3 hours at the VA in Portland and the Doc is going to change up some meds so I can maybe get an extra 10 steps out of the radiator. :giggle:anim

To which overseas girls are you referring? I'm not sure I met any of those.:think:anim

We stayed in the same barracks as some of those guys and the Recon teams. They were on the first deck. SEALs were on the 2nd deck and we were on the 3rd deck. Those guys were the ones who knew how to party! Wow, freaking crazy! I was laying in the rack one night reading, and one of the SEALs I knew popped through the door and told my and my room mate we needed to get down to 2nd deck for the party. Being sailors in a far away land and the eagle not sh#$ing for another week, we told him we were short of funds for the collection hat. We were unceremoniously told to get our arses out of the racks and report for duty on 2nd deck ASAP. This seemed to go on for at least one 24 hour cycle every week.
    Several times we showed up and found a line of guys stretched down the hallway from 3 or 4 rooms. The Teams would sneak girls onto base and into the barracks for "entertainment". Don and I usually just hung out in the beer and tequila rooms.

9. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

sorry about medical probs, that stinks. I hope the VA is doing you right.

oh ho, babes in the barracks. We couldn't get any past the quarterdeck watch. I had a fairly steady girlfriend lived in town, spent most non-duty nights there. Her nephew and niece lived with her sometimes (i can see you grinning) but really, she wasn't old enough to have 10 year olds. i'd bring a case of coke or groceries or something. The kids in the neighborhood were neat, we'd play B-ball in the street. Good thing i was taller because they were pretty durn good. A community shower shared by a couple of blocks of people took a little getting used to. Good times.

Well of course, me too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  10. captchas

. yep. feb 3rd it will happen, http://www.military.com/daily-news/...-farewell-uss-enterprise-decommissioning.html

she was in service from 1961 to 2012, 4 years old when i walked on board in 65 , they've pulled the 8 nukes from her cutting some real big holes though her.while defueling. now her life ends with the decommissioning and a planed long town to WA where she will be scraped .

11. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

My niece was in Norfolk doing some PhD stuff there in 2012 and 2013. She sent me some pictures of the Enterprise sitting there looking pretty forlorn. In fact I was thinking from the way she looked in the pics, they should be required to put a huge giant sheet or curtain around so the public could not see her.

Was only on her for 6 hours visiting with some classmates one day when she was in Pearl. I think that was 73, maybe 74. Had a grand tour and enjoyed it a lot. Maybe I enjoyed being on board so much more because I knew when she sailed, I'd still be on the beach in Hawaii?

12. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Jim, what is your niece PHD'ing in?

Norfolk... my squadron boarded the Eisenhower there for a Med cruise. Professors from Old Dominion University went with us and I got a bunch of credits done via PACE. That was a good program.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  13. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Nevermind the q, none of my biz.

Anyway, ODU was a small school but had good off campus programs. And Norfolk was an Ok place to visit, the VB NAS was a hopping place. And the Cheasapeake bay coastal varied city-to-woodlands.

14. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

She was at a big Civilian Hospital there that did a lot of Military Contract stuff, supplementing the Military Medical System. She was doing her internship in Phycology. After her internship she went through some interviews and was awarded the "I be smart" parchment, meaning we have to call her Doctor now, and then she did a one year residency with Vets in the Portland Or VAMC.

15. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Congrats to her for the long schooling/internships to get that parchment paper. And interested in veteran problems too is a bonus for us.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso