Possible lifter problem

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by mgblunt, Dec 28, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mgblunt

I am preparing to replace the plugs and COP set and in my research this broken plug problem keeps showing up I just wanted to know what I was up against,thanks for the reply!

2. mgblunt

I finally replaced all plugs and coils and the truck runs smooth as silk the ticking is still there on start up but doesn't last as long I'm hoping that doesn't turn into something more sinister.

3. enriched

Sounds good, glad to see that you have gotten improvements.

Some "ticking" on initial cold start up for valve train is normal....it should go away within a few seconds as oil pressure comes up to normal. Mine does it off and on.
    If it is cracked exhaust manifold or just bolts rusted off the exhaust manifold it may also present the ticking on and off in till the manifold gets adequately warmed up. I also have rusted off/ missing manifold bolts and somewhere up the line I'll deal with it. Its been that way for years and barely notable, so it can wait.

4. mgblunt

Well the truck does run great at any speed with plenty of power but at start up there is the ticking noise and the miss is still there just for a few seconds so I guess I'm down to re3placing the lash adjusters on that cylinder.

5. mgblunt

Update on my truck turns out that the ticking is a broken exhaust manifold bolt on the passenger side and the miss is caused by a leaking head gasket at the #1 cylinder the two are not related.

JWC 3, dustybumpers and enriched like this.
  6. enriched

Glad to hear that you got it all figures out!

7. mgblunt

Because of the miles on the truck and the cost of a new head gasket on that truck I bought some "BLUE DEVIL" head gasket sealant followed the directions and it worked like a charm check engine light is out and start up is smooth. I know most people on here don't approve of quick fixes like that but the truck isn't worth the cost of a head gasket. I did this about a month ago and still good. The review were very good for this stuff and I have to say it worked great.

8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I got a friend by after a bankruptcy with that stuff in his Honda.
    Got by for two full years, till his daughter killed it.........
    No shame in doing what you need to get by.
    Just don't be one of those that sells the vehicle without disclosing the issue!

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >