Procedure for installing oil pan ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 56panelford, Sep 20, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I was sent a 4 piece with the pan, I need valve cover gaskets anyway so will check into the one piece with those clips you mentioned. Will set progress behind for a few days but may prevent headaches in the future I guess.

2. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

I do easy quite well... I try to make my life as uncomplicated as possible.... of course Murphy has input, but I do the best I can ;)anim

3. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Mr. Murphy lives very close to me too John...lol

4. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

found this reply from my oil pan question... worked for me

"I installed it dry, no RTV. I just cleaned the block and the pan so there was no trace of dirt, oil or old gasket. I did it with the motor in the truck so I also used the "Snap Ups" from Felpro http://www.felpro-only.com/blog/snapups-make-oil-pan-gasket-installation-snap/
    Made it easy to align and hold the gasket and pan in place.

All worked great! no leaks at all!"

I did as instructed.... cleaned the crap out of both surfaces with laq thinner, then mek, then alcohol... dabbed black rtv in the corners where the front and rear mains sit in the block and layed the gasket in... there was a little tab on the gasket that inserts into the block where the mains fit... or at least on the 460 gasket there were... check your torque specs... seems like mine was around 8 ft lbs.. and 12 on the corners but they are larger bolts 5/16 vs 1/4. you don't crank down on them, you'll warp the pan... the gasket will do the job dry...

john

5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I ordered the one piece gasket with the snap ups and a set of valve cover gaskets, will pick them up tomorrow. I would imagine the torque specs would be the same seeing as the bolts are the same size. Not sure if there is a proper sequence though.

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

^-#Just checked that link you provided John, those snap ups look like the cat's ass ,:stop1: well not really:hello2:

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

9-11 lbs.

8. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Thanks Ken.:)

9. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

you can probably find it on the net but it's a typical crossing pattern... don't knw how many bolts on a 351 but something like this

pattern.jpg #ad

I'd just snug them on first pass then torque to spec on second

j

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Inch, not foot ...?

11. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

NO it's foot #s... 10 f.p = 120 ip

12. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I see lots of newer intake torque at low inch lb .

13. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

hmmm 10 inch pounds would hardly be finger tight on a 1/4 or 5/16 bolt

JWC 3 likes this.
  14. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Just wanted clarifications . I will admit that I rarely torque anything other than heads, rods,and mains .
    I look over the process on a new to me job and get it done .
    Over 20 years of wrenching full time for a living gives you a feel for things .

dustybumpers likes this.
  15. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

My wife found a chart for the 351w on the net and says 15 ft pounds but doesn't account for the 2 different size bolts. I think what I will do is go with the 15 on the 5/16" and 12 on the 1/4" . I'm going into town today and will stop in at the Ford dealership and see what they say.:knockedout:

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >