Ranger , explorer thoughts

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JWC 3, Apr 20, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I still got 2 Rangers, so I don't need to miss em'!

56panelford likes this.
  2. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I'm still thinking about a Fiesta I know about here locally - but one project at a time.

3. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Rally car? Why? Because race car.

4. BKW Founding Member

I disagree, sales of both had tanked.

During the last two years of the Crown Vic's life, it was only sold as a fleet vehicle: Police Cruisers and Taxi-Cabs.

Sales of the Grand Marquis to the general public during the last years of its life were almost non existent. Most were sold as rental cars. All Merc's were canceled at the end of the 2010 model run.

When FoMoCo scheduled the ancient Twin Cities MN assembly plant to close (it was originally erected to assemble Model T's), the only vehicle being built there was the Ranger.

Both the Crown Vic (born LTD in 1979, name changed in 1982) and Ranger were neglected by FoMoCo for years. Crown Vic had only one complete makeover, the Ranger really had none.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford's own fault it tanked. Competitors had better engine selection, four door versions, etc. They were so afraid of cutting into Explorer sales they ended up killing the Ranger brand in the process. Reminds me of IBM and the PCjr, they were worried about undercutting regular PC sales that they crippled the Jr, gave it a horrible keyboard, etc.... and it died.

6. BKW Founding Member

'Downsized' LTD/Grand Marquis introduced in 1979, Town Car in 1980. These cars were flawed, had huge trunks but the rear doors were too short and the rear seat legroom was wanting. Police Cruisers with a cage, there was next to no rear seat legroom.

At some point in the 1990's, the Town Car was available with a longer wheelbase, longer rear doors, additional rear seat legroom. But the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis soldered on without this change.

Crown Victoria name replaced LTD at the end of the 1982 model run.

What's interesting is, the Fox bodied LTD & Marquis that were introduced in 1983 (discontinued after 1986), had more rear seat legroom than the full sized models. 1985/86's were available with the Mustang 302 hipo.

I bought a new 1983 LTD, owned it for 17 years. The salesman (Fleet Manager @ Crenshaw Motors) that had sold me the car, contacted me in 2000, was looking for a car for his daughter to drive to school, wanted to know if I knew of anything.

I did...sold the LTD to him and AFAIK, he still has it.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    dustybumpers likes this.
  7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I had a few LTD II cars . Sedans and a wagon I loved . Not too bad of a car . I do like the full size better .

56panelford likes this.
  8. BKW Founding Member

1977/79 LTD II - FoMoCo's ridiculous and confusing replacement name for the Torino.

dustybumpers likes this.
  9. 00BlueOvalRanger

The name "Crown Victoria" or "Crown Vic" was born in 1955, if memory serves me. The vehicle used for the Crown Vic was the Fairlane.

dustybumpers likes this.
  10. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Crown Vic became Galaxy, which became LTD, which became Crown Vic. There were a few years of overlap, ie Galaxy LTD and LTD Crown Victoria.

11. BKW Founding Member

1954: Ford introduced the Crestliner Skyliner with a plexiglas roof.

Name changed to Crown Victoria 1955/56, were available with or without the plexiglas roof, these roofs had a wide moulding over the center, called a 'basket handle.'

1957/59 'flip tops' revived the Skyliner name. This roof was designed for the 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II, but cost factors prevented these cars from using it.

Galaxie introduced in 1959 as an upscale Fairlane, cancelled at the end of the 1974 model run.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    dustybumpers likes this.
  12. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

I bow to your superior historical knowledge.

dustybumpers likes this.
  13. MIL1ION Canadian Chapter

This thread interests me because I've owned or do own
    a Ranger
    95 Explorer Expedition (2dr) formerly known as the Sport.
    96 Explorer XL 4dr
    92 Mercury Grand Marquis

The Ranger I owned for 30 days

I love my Panther platform MGM.

dustybumpers and BKW like this.
  14. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Rangers were one of Ford's best ideas.................but lacked one option.

A 302!

FordxFour and 00BlueOvalRanger like this.
  15. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I agree... I never did understand why Ford would put a 5.0 in an Explorer/Mountaineer, but not in a Ranger...

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Tags:
virtuoso