Ranger , explorer thoughts

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JWC 3, Apr 20, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Because it would have beat the pants off a F-150 in sheer performance, and taken market share from the sacred cow F-150.

2. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

I owned 2 Rangers and 2 Explorers (one 4 door and one 2 door sport model). I loved that smaller platform - they did everything I asked of them and more. I will never understand why Ford won't bring back the Ranger to the US...but, is what it is.

3. BKW Founding Member

FoMoCo won't bring the Ranger back, because sales of mini-pickups had tanked. Most Rangers during the last 10 years of its life were sold as fleet vehicles that generate very little profit.

During the economic downturn that occurred beginning in 2005, FoMoCo began closing assembly plants, one of which was located in the Twin Cities (MN). This was the only plant assembling Rangers, so when it closed, Rangers were cancelled.

I don't see anyone bemoaning the loss of Mercury, which was introduced in 1939, cancelled at the end of the 2010 model run. When vehicles sales tank, automakers have to get rid of them.

Seen a new Packard, Willys, Edsel, Studebaker, AMC, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, or Plymouth lately? No...you won't, because all went bye bye due to poor sales.

Since 1895, there have been over 5,000 US automakers, about half of them actually assembled and sold vehicles. Many of these companies perished during the first few years of their lives.

For an example, the 1929 Ruxton was the first US car to have FWD. Today, less than 20 exist, as it went bye bye in 1931.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I miss my Ranger. But I went for a ride in one a couple weeks back and I couldn't believe how tiny they are. I guess I've been spoiled with the Expedition and the F150.

Mind you, the Ranger was easy to park, did everything I asked of it, and decent on gas. But it won't pull 7000 pounds.

5. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

Yanno, I would feel the same way, probably. Especially as a big guy who has been driving crew cabs and full size trucks for the past 5 years or so. I'd feel like I'm in a sardine can lol.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Tags: