Ranger Ranger tech corner

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by OldjunkFords, Aug 25, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Taurus 3.0 uses different head gaskets than the Ranger 3.0, the water flow is reversed.

2. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

While, I can build and tune a Carb to do anything I want, & a Carb remains far more field fixable... & I have several dozen to choose from!
    The Ranger will be staying EFI... and that is one of the major sets of decisions that I have to solve.

When I decided to not run the later OHC-V6 due to a lack of bang for the buck, my initial thought was to put on a Ford-MA System (mustang) on the 5.0L that I have on the stand. However, when I started looking at tuning and the fact that the Ford OHV 5.0L EEC was last manufactured, what, about 20 years ago. Added to having friends that still play with these antiques who are seeing component level failures... the Ford EEC system is out, for the moment.
    Then there is the whole aftermarket BUT I am not willing to drop $2500+ for new hardware, and then develop the map(s).
    That puts me shopping for used parts, which I could do, blending for example Ford hardware: intake and injectors with something like a Mega-Squirt or possibly sorting out how to make a later latter Ford ECU work with a mismash of parts. I really want to simplify this and not spent weeks building wiring harnesses!
    At about this point I looked at the possibility of taking a giant leap backwards.
    Why not a, medium runner volume, single plane intake, with a TBI system?
    This isn't a max power hot rod, so SD would be plenty adequate...
    The system could be stand alone and I could carry a complete back-up system in the form of a Carb & pressure regulator & hoses, in a small box for when we really get out there.
    Somewhere I have an Injector Throttle body; I'd need injectors, a few sensors, a Pump and perhaps build a Mega Squirt box, a nice system could be built out of the pile of parts...
    Then there is Holley's new Sniper TBI system (release date this month) intriguing and well inside my price point, & I have the intake Manifold... Minimal wiring. . .
    Well, that is what I am thinking at the moment, feel free to blow holes in the thought process! :cigar:

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have been a part of 5 V-8 Ranger /Bronco2 builds, but all have been carbs, so not much help with EFI.

56panelford likes this.
  4. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

The remainder of the build is fairly straight forward: I built an 8.8 EXP Disk brake rear axle, CrMo-shafts, ARB, welded tubes, etc and I will be swapping D44 Outers onto the 35TTB front. Had to "fix" the James Duff suspension when I rebuilt the Front.
    The new engine will be really mild, maybe a set of aluminum heads (Weight/Fuel tolerance).
    Headers into a singe exhaust, the AOD (non computer) and a NP242 Jeep T/C sitting behind a Black Box.
    All of which will require relocating the fuel tank, Relocating a Cross member and going to a single piece rear D-shaft.
    After that I'll fab the new Ft&R bumpers and Winch mounts and move up to 35" tires and likely some fiberglass body parts.
    Going to try to build in stages.

dustybumpers likes this.
  5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Make sure to do a build thread on it for us please

56panelford likes this.
  6. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yes, please!
    I have never seen a build thread on a "newer" Ranger, only on 1st gen Rangers.

56panelford likes this.
  7. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

In nearly 40 years of building various types of rigs I've never posted a build thread.
    So, I will not make any promises.

8. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Any one have a 1994 Ford Truck Body Builders Layout book?

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I have to go in the garage tomorrow when she who watches me like a hawk isnt looking

I think it's a 92........

JWC 3 likes this.
  10. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

That would likely be close enough for what I want.

Is: she who watches me like a hawk (SWWMLH) similar to SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed?;)anim

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yuppers
    usually she pays me no mind, but since the heart attack monday, she has become "different"
    LMAO

12. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Well, a Heart Attack is one thing, but, to get in trouble with the misses...
    Take care, and I'd rather have you around then the information!

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I'll make it her idea for the walk tomorrow.......o_O
    What are you looking for, that is 3 books, about the size of the original sears catalog each

14. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

The frame & body mount positions for the Bronco or F150 and the same for a ranger super-cab but i'm not even sure that to rigs are in the catalog.

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I will look, the body books are pretty complete
    the set is for-body-electrical-powertrain

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >