Retaining pins on the weight distribution hitch

Discussion in 'Towing, RV's, Campers and 5th Wheels' started by bigrigfixer, Apr 24, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Which in turn means the very tips of half cut-away at an angle metal pins are what holds the ends of the bars up. And I've owned lighter sledge hammers...

But this is what they settled on after having the other type for years! Coming from Husky I doubt it's weak at all.

In fact, the hardness of that steel is like for a trailer frame itself, and that can be the toughest steel on earth to run a drill bit into. The arms themselves are not cast, but spring steel, I think. Forged high carbon, if I'm right. So the pin material will be something quite a bit above 1010 cold roll if the pattern holds, I would not even be surprised if it were stainless

In the final analysis, they only support the unladen weight of the bars themselves, once the chains are drawn tight the bars are held up from the other end and I can't imagine anything really that might cause them to creep out. Still, metal under tension can do odd things.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >