So what does it take to make a 17 year old truck look new?

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by TeamBrahma, Apr 25, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

Cool. If you would do that please I would appreciate it. My steering wheel is a bit beat, especially. I have a cover over it now.

2. ncranchero Founding Member

Sure will.

My baby girl graduates tomorrow morning from her first 4 years of college. I'll get them out when I get back home. BTW, end of August she is headed to Philly. U of PA has given her a five year full ride PhD fellowship and a stipend for as much as I make on my part time job! I'm amazed, I'm thrilled for her ........ and me! :rock:anim:clap:anim

3. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Great thread guys, love all the pics

4. fordtruckfan99

I have a 99 f150 that if I had used it as a truck here in mn would be in awful shape, luckily it's been a 3rd vehicle so it has low (90k) miles and never gets driven in winter. I polished it out years ago and keep it in the garage so it still shiny and has good luster still.

image.jpg #ad

5. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

What wheel and tire combo are you running on that? Looks really good.

6. ncranchero Founding Member

Whose wheels?

7. fordtruckfan99

They are DIP D04 22x8.5 with 285-45-22 nitto terra grappler.

8. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

Was asking about fordtruckfan's truck.

I'm not a fan of going to 22's personally but that setup works on your truck. Debating going to bigger wheels at some point, myself.

9. fordtruckfan99

Thanks, I spent a while choosing this setup. It was either bigger wheels or lift kit with bigger tires, bigger wheels won lol.

10. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

Lol understandable. I am on a 6" lift so my options are different. ..

11. ncranchero Founding Member

Those do look nice. I'd never guessed they were 22's.

12. BKW Founding Member

Undercoating can cause more rust issues than without it. Just ask a Studebaker owner.

Undercoating, when it gets hard, can chip off...a rust spot begins, then the rust spreads hidden...under the remaining undercoating.

Use Rhino Liner instead, sold in auto parts stores. This is the stuff that auto makers use for spray on bed lining.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  13. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have looked at bed liner products (in fact the inside got Herculiner) for the underneath. I have some left, so I will probably apply that in some areas under the truck that I can reach easily. Because this is more of a "toy" than a worker - which is what I own the diesel for - the visual in the wheelwell is somewhat important to me and textured products kind of go against that. So, not sure what I'll do there. My biggest issue is that the bed is now ON the truck, and headed to the paint shop later this week. So whatever I do right now, has to be from a spray can for the most part, or a small brush. I will have to look up the stuff you're talking about.

I'll get it sorted. I was using "undercoating" in a generic sense, as your suggestion has gone through my mind - I just wish I'd have had the resources to do it in full while the bed was off the truck. Sadly, I was unemployed at that time, and money was at a premium...not to mention winter was in full effect here in PA, and my garage is far too small to house both a truck that was apart AND the bed at the same time.

14. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

So, here's some random re-assembly shots from the past couple weeks or so. Been more about the assembly and work than about the picture taking - this has been a relentless assault.

f40e53b77877b6bb7048abe2c47fdedb.jpg #ad

9cc38cdd121cb0a80b614f8339869662.jpg #ad

74a2e445209ac3fa9d8a52c16a95d2a6.jpg #ad
    6f0b1a4962af5abc831305519b1121fe.jpg #ad

dustybumpers and ncranchero like this.
  15. ncranchero Founding Member

Nice paint work!
    22needsaface, you'll have to explain that to me, please.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >