step drilling in thick steel

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by jniolon, Aug 9, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. woodbutcher Founding Member

:D 1" holes huh?Well,how about just use the 25mm off a Bradley:eek::p?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. belchfire

I agree that broach bits are the best. I found one on E-bay for fairly cheap. Next would be a hole saw. You'll need to get a good brand like Milwaukie and not an el-cheapo for wood. Go slow & use a ton of lube. As for twist drills, incremental steps aren't necessarily needed. A 1/4 " pilot hole will relieve the pressure on the point and the flutes should do the rest. I like using a 118* point instead of the 135* as it concentrates more pressure on the cut. The main problem is that people drill too fast. The surface speed of the lips can get too high and burn them and also work harden the base metal. I have found that MIG nozzle wax is an excellent lube. It has high temp properties so it won't burn away as fast.
    As for plasma. Great if you can afford the equipment. Really good for stainless & aluminum. I have used an oxy-acetylene torch since I was 14 ( now 64). I was on a job where we needed a hole for a clevis in 1" plate. I was given an hour to do it because that's what it took at the contractor's last job. 5 min later I was done. Pays to know what you're doing. The only reasons that I wouldn't use a torch is if you're not that good or there's thermal stress considerations or you don't want to damage the finish. Hope this helps.

OldjunkFords and JWC 3 like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso