Teenager Vehicle Again

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by riggers, May 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. riggers Founding Member

Lubbock area.

2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I'd take a look at the explorer sport. looks like a cute little truck

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

last month i bought a garage kept 2004 chevy cavalier with 62,000 miles on it from the original owner, in mint condition for $900. book on the car is only $1100 in showroom condition.
    i have 2 saturn ions here people are begging me to get rid of, i can get them for $300. but they are currently only worth about $200 over the scales for scrap.

5. pirahnah3 Founding Member

Well the sport track is not bad, one of my guys at work has one and it has been good to him.
    The eclipse i might avoid as its a manual and you never know how those were taken care of, asside from that usually solid cars but were known for some head gasket leaks
    The cobalt (and its cute pink emblem) are nice enough cars, should handle the job nicely if you can handle the small car part.

after looking at that CL link I might even consider this one

https://lubbock.craigslist.org/cto/4979262193.html

def not the worst option out there, would make a nice car.

6. riggers Founding Member

That Toyota lists a lot of problems.

I like the Eclipse... not sure about trying to teach her manual. She is not big on Eclipses from history of pointing them out to her... I like them for teenage girl cars!

The sporttrac miles are pretty high.

I showed her that car with the pink logos before. She doesn't like pink LOL She wasn't too put off by it once I told her those could be changed though.

So many damn choices.

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

AC repair could hit $ 800.00 or just be $ 80.00 but, I just had 2 air bag crash sensors replaced on an '05 GMC company truck and they were $ 380.00 each.

8. riggers Founding Member

AC is mandatory. This is Texas and summer is just beginning lol

9. BKW Founding Member

Consumer Reports panned the Saturn ION, saying it was one of the worst cars they tested.

Salvage titles also apply to vehicles that are stolen and stripped, then repaired, usually with used parts.

If you want a reliable car with excellent MPG, buy an I-4 Camry, Accord or Fusion.

I'd pass on the Explorer Sport (it's a 2 dr). With its short wheelbase and high center of gravity, it has a tendency to roll over. Not pleasant!

The Explorer Sport Trac is not the same as the Sport, it's a 4 door crew cab.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    KW5413 likes this.
  10. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Me too....damnit.

BTW Bill, it is great to have you and your knowledge here.

11. riggers Founding Member

Okay so what am I left with? lol. Keep looking?

12. BKW Founding Member

I suggested 3 vehicles in post 25, said avoid 2 others.

13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Increase your liability insurance and give her the Excursion. Hell, drivers will work hard to get out of her way. :)

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My Eclipse has been good so far. Had to replace both valve cover gaskets. Timing belt MUST be replaced at 80,000, or you will be putting in a new motor.
    My dad had an 02 Serris Chrysler, basically the same car, after he passed in 08, we sold it to the guy 2 doors down, and other than the battery, and tires, he's still driving it with no major problems.
    The Sport is going to have timing belt / chain overhead cam too.
    I love our 96 explorer, sometimes wish it were a little truck.

Man stuff is expensive down ya'lls way, but by the time you fly up here, and stay overnight, then drive back down, you might as well just buy a local car.

15. riggers Founding Member

Yes but I still have to FIND them lol

Exactly. I think stuff lasts longer here... she wanted a Jeep, just go look up how pricey those are here!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >