Teenager Vehicle Again

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by riggers, May 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. BKW Founding Member

Well, I cannot help you look for a car since in I live in LA LA Land. Did/do you belong to FTE's TX Chapter?

There may be members close by that could assist you.

2. riggers Founding Member

Most the guys I talk to are on this thread! lol.

3. MCDavis Founding Member

Here's some mo'

https://lubbock.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=honda accord

https://lubbock.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=toyota corolla

https://lubbock.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=mazda 3

If I had a teenager, which I don't, then I wouldn't hesitate to put them in any of the 4 I've listed...Civic, Accord, Corolla, Mazda 3 as they are all fine first cars. I was gifted an 80s era Accord on my 16th Bday (mid 90s) and it was perfect for the job at hand. Most of what's listed is low on gobs of electronics too, which means it's more likely to be repairable in the driveway if something goes haywire.

4. BKW Founding Member

"She who must be obeyed" purchased a 1985 Honda Accord new.

Over the 15 years & 150,000 miles she owned it, the only problem she had was with the alternator, had to replace two of them.

I drove it a coupla times, it was fun to drive since it had a 5 speed.

In 2000, she sold it to her nephew, who promptly wrecked it.

MCDavis likes this.
  5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

get her this, and you will not have to worry about her getting hit by anything. :wideyed:

ahalftrackinfo_com_index_php_add656424ddd8f811fe706a25b863899._.jpg #ad

pirahnah3, KW5413 and riggers like this.
  6. MCDavis Founding Member

Ha! 1985 Accord LX 5-speed was the exact vehicle I was gifted. Gifted is a loose term, as everyone else in the family drove it before me. Loved that car, and the massive stereo I put in it!! :rock:anim :rock:anim

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

One tip I've learned:

Whenever you see listing that says A/C needs a recharge, run from it. You automatically know you're dealing with a liar. Recharging it takes 20 minutes and not much money. If all it needed was a recharge... they'd have recharged it!

8. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

This is absolutely correct. $ 12 bucks, or less, at the Dollar Store and a teenager can do it in a few short minutes. Girls are especially adept at doing things like this theirowndangedselves. We have always taught our daughters not to be dependent on any damned man to do anything for them... :)

9. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Obviously if you ac needs recharged, there's something wrong with it (a leak).

10. riggers Founding Member

Oh yeah I already know all about a/c's. I'm not even buying something that has even hinted at a/c problems EVER lol

OldjunkFords likes this.
  11. riggers Founding Member

I found this:
    ai1151.photobucket.com_albums_o631_riggers30_chevelle_zpse0oblxym.jpg #ad

And she actually said it was ugly! I think I may be dealing with a crazy person here. Clux... where do you put this action on the BSC scale? Should I admit defeat immediately?

Ford Trucker, dustybumpers and KW5413 like this.
  12. BKW Founding Member

This may be correct for the new Freon, but it does not apply to R-12 Freon. The first car with factory A/C was the 1940 Packard.

From 1959 thru 1973, you could buy a 1 lb. can of R-12 Freon (B9LF-19B519-A) from your local Ford dealer for about 59 cents.

In 1974, when Ford changed the part number (D4AZ-19B519-A), the price rose to a buck.

But when the US Gov't banned the production of R-12, the cans were obsoleted because FoMoCo no longer sold it.

The only way you could get it, was in bulk from A/C shops, @ roughly $25.00 per lb.

However, there are 3 Ford dealers that have about 50 cans of R-12 between them, so if anyone is interested, I'll post the info.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    dustybumpers and KW5413 like this.
  13. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i still buy R-12 for $10 per can. some people think it is made of gold though, i have seen it sell for over $50 per can on evil bay.

riggers, buy the chevelle for yourself, and give her the suburban.

dustybumpers likes this.
  14. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

That would be a better question for KW. Since I have always thought Novas were kind of ugly myself, I'd have to say she's exceedingly sane. Besides, those old cars ride suck, they handle poorly, and you are constantly going to be working on them.

15. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

What riggers shows is a 1971 Chevelle...not a Nova. Looks to be a nice attempt at an SS clone. Pictures often make paint look better than it is but, it seems to be a nice car....cosmetically. But, it is hard to trust these cars as daily drivers.

Here's another angle of a '71. The bumper treatment looks to be custom and quite a bit newer ;)

achivethethrottle.files.wordpress.com_2012_12_user_chevelle_500_10.jpg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >