The list your vehicles thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, May 19, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Not consumer grade alcohol. ..
    Industry grade cut paint and grease grade stuff. Same principles in making, but not the same.

56panelford likes this.
  2. Paul Masley Founding Member

Chris, two to three bucks a gallon will not touch good shine. Good shine will cost a minimum of ten with quality going as high as fifty.

But the E85 does have have what they call white gasoline added to it.

3. Paul Masley Founding Member

I have seen that 200 proof (100% alcohol) paint reducer knock a few painters on their asses after spraying it unprotected. They were quite fooking drunk.

4. Paul Masley Founding Member

For you old hot rodders out there, here is something for you to think about the next time you go to the pump. A buddy of mine has an IROC Camaro that he has restored. He is also religious at using only Exxon Premium in it. Exxon fuel is 85% gasoline and 15% ethanol. His car just would not run and he asked an old time mech (me) for some help. The electric fuel pressure gauge at the pump was reading 38 pounds, perfect for a Rochester dual pump. Fuel pressure at the carb was 3 pounds. His fuel pump was outside tank mounted with stainless lines. I pulled off one of the bowls and saw black debris floating in it. It had got past the filter. I had a Holley 650 and an electric fuel pump in my storage building, I knew that the Holley would not properly feed that 396 big block, but it would let me hit the problem. I sent him to a friend of mine for some high octane leaded racing fuel and some high pressure aircraft braided fuel lines. Twenty minutes after starting, the 396 was purring sucking fuel out of the can.

I handed him the carb, told him to send it to the manufacturer for an overhaul and then handed him the new fuel lines and told him to replace every rubber one with them.

Alcohol will destroy any rubber fuel line in your vehicle. It will cause them the swell, then break up inside. In my Vic owner's manual, Ford says to run BP fuel because they do something to counteract the alcohol problem. That is the only fuel that I run. I put Exxon in the Vic and she will fall on her face. Never figured that one out yet.

5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

There's an old gas station in the middle of Munford (not far from where I live) that is one of the ONLY gas stations that proudly sells NON-ETHANOL fuel in all grades. Every tree service and lawn care company around here goes there for their small engine gas - which is how I found out about it. The name of the place is "Pop's Gas Station" in Munford TN, just west of Atoka from the 51 highway.

6. Paul Masley Founding Member

The strange thing about that Rochester is I have never seen one built like a Holley. That is why I told him to send it back. I did not want to open a can of worms on something I had never torn into before. I can do a Holley blindfolded. He called me back, said it was missing. I stopped by and sure enough, he had crossed 5 and 7. I just cannot figure out why he had the rear left side plug wires off to change a fuel hose that is on the right side front of the block. Damn Chevy Owners! I am going to let him use the Holley until the Roch comes back. I had never driven a Camaro with a 396 in it. The sumbitch rocks with that 650. I can imaging what it would be like with the 750. Actually, I think the 750 is overkill on it.

7. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

put some work in that 396 and drop an 1150 on it and hold on. i built one years ago and dropped it in a 68 ss/rs that was making close to 800hp. car ran 9 second quarter mile the one time it was allowed on the track. they said if it was ever to be allowed on the track again it needed transmission blanket, 5 point harness, full roll cage, fuel cell, and driver had to wear a fire suit.
    Al said screw that and ran it on the street for a few years, then sold it for twice what he had into it.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  8. Paul Masley Founding Member

The way he has it set up, it looks like a factory 350 with headers and wants to keep it that way. Killer Sleeper. He even has it toned down a bit. Looking under the hood, you see a/c, a factory 350 air cleaner with a heat riser off of the header, the whole simple look. Hell, there is even a fake smog pump belted to it. But that startup lets you know that it is a demon, not an angel under the hood. It is a great streetable machine, not a drag car. It is not jacked up, it has the RS wheels but a little wider tire. Just what he wants. I told him to leave it that way. It is a hunter.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >