Veterans Zone The Navy way !!

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by mete, Mar 17, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

As I understood it, Desoto engineered the HEMI engine, and at the end of Desoto in 1961 its patents were the property of Chrysler

So how did that happen?

*In '60 and '61 Desoto was also producing a 383 V8 that also went on to be a Chrysler hallmark

2. BKW Founding Member

Of course the patents were the property of Chrysler, since Chrysler had owned Desoto since it was introduced in 1929.

331 cid Hemi introduced in the 1951 Chrysler. A powerful engine with the gutless Fluid Matic Drive (aka Clunk-O-Matic) semi A/T transmission behind it.

Chrysler's first fully A/T (2 speed Powerflight) was introduced in 1953.

3. captchas

BKW
    think your right about g ma's 49 what i can remember is it was a 49 packard that i used to get my dl in 63. one heck of a boat to try to parallel park no power anything

Chrysler 331 firepower came out in 51 52 desoto the firedome hemi was a 276 incher, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine but the hemi chamber history goes way way back to 1901. they were first used by the belgian car maker pipe in 1905 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemispherical_combustion_chamber
    oldest hemi i personally have worked on is a 1926 bentley, the 4.0 l inline 4 motor has a cast alloy crank case and head. wet cylinder liners that are encased by steel plates making the water jacket between the crank case and head . the single OHC opens 4 valves per cyl. via a valve bridge/rocker which is under the cam and has a ball bearing in it for the cam to turn on, 2 spark plugs per, 2 magnetos . 2 side draft carbs bolted to a 5 speed transmission,
    $350.00 for a ride in a PT isn't that bad, think i would for sure like it on my bucket list,

price out a 1 hour ride in a p51 mustang out of that museum down in FL . years back when my daughter and sil purchased me one as a fathers day gift it was $2.000.00 now a 50 min ride is $3.000.00

4. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

5. captchas

just saw this never knew DD made a 2 banger, only knew about the 3-53's

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso