The Wolf Cub "Assembly of Japanese Automobile require great peace of mind"

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by Greywolf, May 1, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The latest hassle with it: I have ordered 25' of steel line to run a new fuel return, also a bunch of fittings.

This vid explains why:

2. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I just got some of my parts in the mail - I knew there was a bolt left off of the tank mounts, so I sent for some M8 - 1.25 class 8.8 steel bolts.

50 of them, now I need to set aside a suitably marked container for the extras. I never want to have a box or a can full of unsorted nuts and bolts laying around again. When I need something, I want to be able to lay hands on it immediately.

I compared the bolts I got with one I just took out of it - and the thread pitch looked off...
    So I re-ordered some M8 - 1.00 20mm bolts from www.clipsandfasteners.com

~These guys have a brilliant selection of fasteners, and they are quick to send stuff out! You can also use PAYPAL at their site for secure payment, which I highly recommend.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Just watched the video . Some work yet . Hope you get it sorted soon .

4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Planet Dutch, and the Privet Forrest Lodge is a bit limited financially, but logical progression and guaranteed results are the byline.

Frankly I'm glad I am not Don Trump - the game is spoiled if there is no real requirement for accuracy because excess is inherent.

If Trump makes a mistake he has fallbacks. A parachute, so to speak.

I have no such safety net

I have to be right on the money with every move...

"AIN'T SKEERED"

I made it so far, haven't I?

Hold on to your dreams, even daydreams - never let them go

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I got the line pulled. There's more to the story, I know I put all the lines back just as they were when I dropped the tank.

When I pulled the line out I found out by following the whole length front to back that it was crossed with the tank vent line to the charcoal canister(!)

No wonder it didn't perform as advertised. I'm sucking down beer now and trying to forget about stupid punk kids and jack-hole shade tree shops that don't know what they are doing.

The new line will be unmistakable. The new connections will be clean. The new resentments will last for centuries - I hate stupid people....

I also found that a missing tank-mount bolt was in fact broken off.

Going back to square one again is a bee-otch but I just don't trust anything I see on this thing right now.

The broken bolt serves to confirm that somebody (likely someone who was paid) took the tank out and botched the whole job & subsequently washed their hands of the entire project.

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Doin's today: I knew I had to thow it back on the ground, and jack up the rear - did that this morning.
    (While it was cool)

A bit at a time I got closer to the real line that was jacking things up, and I think I finally got it!

Looka here....

*On the line check with the compressor it was sounding definitely asthmatic - barely any flow out.

Not shown is how to bend tubing without it squashing out or pinching, use of a reamer tool, and blowing through the other lines to make sure they were clear.
    ~Maybe some other day, I quit at four after being out at daybreak.

NSFGMF=Not Safe For Geo Metro Forum

Some of you know I have been having bad arguments over there with people who have to consult a manual just to change a spare tire or check an oil dipstick.

The last thing on earth I want to admit there is that I was following the wrong line!

But when you have a Chiltons and a Haynes manual to work with because the factory manual is over a hundred bucks - it's the old school ways you work with.

Besides, I now have a certified set of clean lines, or so I hope.

~Wolfie

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Fuel system issues are resolved. I need to pretty things up underneath and I can put it back on the ground.
    The goal was 25 - 33 PSI and it wound up at 28 on the money.

Now I need to go after the electrical bug(s)

Edit: IT IS back on the ground, I went ahead and laced all the tubing back up in place so that I wouldn't be slowed up by it in the AM

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  8. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

REVENGE! I win....

This means it runs, and all the rest of the problems are SMALL

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Great - me and my big mouth. Things are not that simple after all, I have a brand new puzzle to solve in this "Mystery Car":

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Belt stripped or broke . or keyway stripped .

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Hope it's not a "clearance" engine, where the valves smacked the pistons when the belt let loose.

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That's too bad Wolfy, sorry it didn't work out for you but can say your video making is sure top notch.

13. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

"Sometimes the magic works - sometimes it doesn't..."

If I hadn't taken the head off when I first got the thing, at this point I'd be betting the jugs were slap wore out.
    But that doesn't mean the rod and main bearings are any good, or that the oil or water pumps are not trash, etc...
    The only things I can trust on this one are what I have seen with my own two disbelieving eyes.

I just hope the cam and saddles are not trashed. I dunno yet if it even has bearings.
    I just about ought to pull the whole engine at this point based on general principle #2:

GP #1) Take it for granted that most people don't know what they are doing, and you'll never be disappointed.
    GP #2) If you didn't build it, it's almost certain to be totally completely screwed (SEE: GP #1)

The people who messed with this before I got it are not around to ask any questions of. That alone should have told me to JUST GO AHEAD AND REBUILD IT.

14. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

These can be a bear to get proper rebuild patrs for . Best of luck!

15. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I remember a few of these with spun crank keeways ....

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso