Ranger V8 Rangers - The Mustang Of Ford Trucks

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Greywolf, Apr 26, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

417 sounds in the ballpark - the 351 Factory 4Bbl I built once upon a time was I THINK 0.020 over, and it came out a 357. If stages of 0.020 go six cubes (roughly) at a jump, sixty is 18 cubes over stock, for approximately 369 - but it could have been 40 over. I just don't remember being so long ago.

If it was forty over, it would be three per jump - or 360

Shucks, man. I just dunno.

So how much do you want for it, whoever drags it away on a trailer?

Something about my math is jacked up, I was thinking 351.

If a 400 gains six cubes per 0.020 - 60 would be 400 + 18, so I think you are right on the money.

So howmuchfer? The frame and running gear are probably in reasonable shape even if the body and what all are trashed from sitting.

*Reminds me, somebody ought to contact T. Meyers and let him know we are here.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

PM sent...

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Okay, GUYS? We're lookin' at $800 for this ride, and it can go one of two ways: Terry says it runs, so it can be a "Guess and DARE" sort of a drop off the driver and watch it go, or if you have a trailer it can be a haul. It's a C6 3-speed, and I'm betting it's a double nickle gear train. THAT is why it sucks fuel.

But with a rebuilt 60 over 400 and 2V heads, that engine alone is worth the price. Terry says it has a 2Bbl on it, that tells me that a manifold and a 4 barrel could make this thing roar, and the next step in my conception is that (take me seriously now!) if a Ranger extended cab and long bed were mounted on that frame - a whole lot of work and massaging could be skipped right past - in fact, if I had the funds right now I think it would be bitchen to give it a Mustang F-body fender and grill kit if they could be made to blend in to the door style lines. That would make it look like a close cousin of a Falcon UTE.

It's four wheel drive, don't know if it's a new process, or what - but all of that is already set up in the chassis. A transmission swap to give it longer legs is an obvious move.

The bottom line here is that if any of us are in a position to nab it - it stands up for grabs, and this could well be worth having. Think of what can be done with it...

ITEM: The engine itself is worth the money
    ITEM: The transfer case and matched front and rear axles are worth an equal amount of cash

I don't see any downside...

Picture this:
    A Ranger extended cab, with a Ranger long bed behind it, fronted by an aero looking Mustang front clip from the late nineties. Fender flares on the bed, and a front axle from an Explorer maybe, so that it is the same width of the fenders in front.

It would be a stretched mini Falcon UTE, or as close as you could come in North America.
    If it had an AOD or AODE, or an E4OD it would have the long legs to be a coast to coast clipper. The aerodynamics would be in place to make a slim highway runner out of it.

ALL on the original frame

Anyone else like the concept?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  4. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Okay, here goes...

Since then, I've added this:

Here's another pic I found that shows the truck with the newer wheels and topper (the Ranger is blocking most of it, but you'll get the idea...): 100_0280.JPG #ad

5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The chassis of a newer Ranger (smaller truck) takes a dip of about four to six inches in the area of the footwell. It is not a straight rail frame.

The cab mounts on six rubber mounts. The front and rear are at the same height, the pair in the middle are the low ones. I don't know if this is a parallel to the full size frames. It would need a channel on each side in the foot area if a straight four inch tube frame was made. *This is a part of the thinking I have done on this topic

The cab mount saddles are on the outside of the frame, but I know for a fact that an F100 or something similar was adapted by MONSTERBABY at the old site to drop a Ranger II cab and bed on it. Some welding was required. I have no idea how far apart the frame rails are on Terries truck. I do however have a chassis sitting out in my yard for/from an '89 Ranger 1/4 ton that I can take measurements from.

The distance between the inner edges of the frame rails is 27 inches, the distance between the cab mount centers (bolts) is 37 1/2 inches.

I note also that the rails run straight - they do not narrow.

FABMAN told me long ago that a 1950's era cab bolts right up to a Ranger frame

THIS is a 1989 1/4 ton Ranger frame, stripped of just about everything.

You can see that the frame rails run straight from front to back, but they drop in a few places. The frame saddles for the cab are plain to see -

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

This is what is underneath every single Ranger truck and holds the whole damned thing together.

If you can modify that, you can build anything you want - but if you have a stronger frame to begin with it can be extraordinary
    At least - those are my thoughts about it.

Now - if a 1950's era cab can mount on that (so I thought) what if a larger and more robust frame can be used to mount a 1/4 ton Ranger body on?

And there it rests, for now.

The "RAPTOR" seems kind of silly to me, compared to what a street racer could do
    STUDY THAT!

If you have better ideas than mine I want to hear them...

6. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I dug through my old posts on FTE and found this info on the truck:

VIN: F14SRY43854
    Model Year: 1977.
    Truck Series: F150 4 Wheel Drive
    Engine: V8 - 400cid
    Assembly: San Jose, CA

WB: 133
    COLOR: BR
    TYPE/GVW: F141
    BODY: ER4
    transmission: G
    AXLE: 16x (I'm not sure what "x" is as there is a rivet covering the top half of the digit - It looks like it could be a "J" or something like that.)
    MAX GVWR LBS: 06150
    DSO: 1977 73

EDIT: One detail I keep forgetting to mention is that there is a Class III receiver hitch bolted to the frame-rails behind the step-bumper - it's kind of tucked up out of the way and hidden by the bumper... There's also wiring there for trailer lights... This thing was built for towing...

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

You know what's wild?

It looks a hell of a lot like Dennis (Mil1on's) truck

8. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Yeah, but would he want it?

10. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

That ain't the truck he first showed up with at "the other place"

It was a '78 or so, and a pig.

* I hate to say that for Dennis's sake - but it was
    I guess he ditched it and moved on

SO!

About Ranger trux - how fast can they become?

I once said elsewhere that I would build the fastest pickup truck anyone had ever seen, or scatter it in a million pieces...

I need to find a way to do that.

What is the current land speed record?
    ***He asks, quietly***

11. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Here's a few more random shots of the truck that I had completely forgotten were on my Photobucket account...

1618cde3d3bea33abd87d11868cd90e6.png #ad

845fe32627e0a6fd964c4a50d26b4928.png #ad

b1c32400a786aa30e168a15ee705b62f.jpg #ad

245b338231848b5afd495360fe7145b5.jpg #ad

5efdecb5a66b9602afc467c9f01506d2.jpg #ad

d57ee0d74733675ab6b7dddeacd6dc88.jpg #ad

cea3e5b06ae572d78645685de2a3867b.jpg #ad

These are shots of the bed I took after I tore out the carpet and pad the previous owner had installed for his dog...

15318ab30f95d489a39944472bccad6f.jpg #ad

900aa8d2352c7663d12813ad2e3c187c.jpg #ad

5ee8ede2fe9ffdce231cfa921f444665.jpg #ad

12. BKW Founding Member

No 351M or 400 installed in a Passenger Car, F100/350 and Bronco came w/a 4V carb, only a 2V carb was available.

Post 36:

The first two digits of the AXLE code (stamped on the Warranty Plate) refer to the rear axle.

The 3rd digit (if present) refers to the front axle, or if the truck has P/S or not, or has a tilt wheel (1978/79) or not and etc.

AXLE code 16: = Ford 9" Rear Axle / 3.50-1 / No Limited Slip / 3,600 lbs. Rear Axle Capacity.

There is no 3rd digit of X, so it has to be another letter or a number.

Year: 1977 / DSO: 73 = Salt Lake City UT Ford District Sales Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the truck from.

btw Mr. Wolfie: This truck would not pass a CA smog test. What I see missing is the EGR valve, T/E (smog pump), Evaporative Emission tubing. The cat could be missing, too.

CA smog tests all 1976 and newer vehicles. ALL the original emission equipment must be present and in good working order. If a vehicle fails the smog test, it cannot be registered. There's no waiver if the parts are obsolete.

It's fix it, or park it!

dustybumpers likes this.
  13. Major Malfunktion Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm thinking the axle code is 16J which, if I'm not mistaken, is 3.50:1 w/power steering.

Definitely not a smog friendly vehicle - no EGR or any of that stuff - custom dual exhaust so, no cats - the only cat that truck had was the one that got its tail wrapped up in the fan belt one morning...

14. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I remember reading about that unfortunate feline long ago...

The nine is an axle that can be modified with guts from a number of aftermarket sources. More Chevvies and Ponchos ran races with a Ford nine under them and won than any other. In fact, JEGS and SUMMIT both have SPOOLS (locked, no slip at all and not suitable for ordinary driving) for dirt cheap.

The popularity of the ford nine inch has made it one of the most modifiable axles around, though it is said the corporate fourteen bolt is the strongest...

I think it's fourteen bolt - don't quote me. I may have made an ass of myself again, my shot memory being what it is.

But the corporate is said to be the offroaders dream, and the nine is a strip track blasters ideal.

I have heard that Tennessee will begin testing or at least checking for forty nine state smog controls, and so on. I'll believe it when I see that.

Tennessee SMOG Tech:
    "I done seen one a' them in my books in school... Does it work?"

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  15. NRA4ever Founding Member

It's not hard to run those test on a OBD II car or truck. All it takes is a code scanner.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >