Ranger V8 Rangers - The Mustang Of Ford Trucks

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Greywolf, Apr 26, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Any more of this blasphemy of running a "M" in a Ranger?..............If you are gonna put a gigantic hunk of metal over the front axle and really crowd the engine compartment, at least put some REAL hp. up there, and go 429/460!

2. NRA4ever Founding Member

I agree they have way more power than the M. I would use a 351 w or a 302 if I was building a V8 ranger. Less weight & plenty of power in a truck that light. It's gonna take lots of work to build a suspension to work with the big block motors.

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If you have ever driven a Ranger with a 351w..............you would draw the line there, anything more is insanity.

4. NRA4ever Founding Member

I've driven a turboed 302 ranger. It's insane enough for me. It will lose traction at 85 mph & light up the tires. It runs low 10s with street slicks

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

A acquaintance (friend of friend) is considering doing a Explorer 5.0 swap into his tired 97 4.0 Ranger...............If this happens I will share.

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

It's all still on the back burner for now while I zero in on the last problems with "the Mighty Suzuki Swift"... :wasntme:anim

Once I have that running, things will go better.

7. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Please do.:)

8. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Might be a ways off.................guy did a complete tune-up on the 4.0, had 2 bad plug wires and one spark-plug was hanging on by 1/2 a thread and about to shoot out.............
    It runs SO much better now.

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Something like a "Cliff's Notes" video here, I had a perfect opportunity to look at a Ranger fender and a Mustang one side by side, and poke a camera lens into a Mustang turbo engine bay - what I found explains quite a bit about why a Ranger e-bay is so tight, but a Mustang isn't:

It's given me some ideas, but they're alien science at this point.

10. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I've seen sbc's stuffed in the front of VW 's Bettles so placing a sbf in a Ranger should be no problem either . Many S 10 have had this done also.

11. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

IMO putting a SBF in a Ranger bay is a snap.................and the strut towers in a Mustang can be a real PITA when wrenching.

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I used to have a Lada that I often thought I'd like to stuff a small block of some kind under the hood but it rusted away before I ever got the chance.

13. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I thought I might need to build a 302 Ranger.....................Until I bought a newer 4.0 SOHC Ranger............

Pretty damned impressive.

14. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

After I got rid of my S10 I had ,I thought I should have kept it to do some mods on it. It was in real good shape but the guy who bought it didn't look after it and within about 3 years it looked like chit, it was spotless when I had it.

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You like that????
    Try a 4.6 Explorer some time.
    Mod motors get up and go, that's for sure!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >