Ranger V8 Rangers - The Mustang Of Ford Trucks

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Greywolf, Apr 26, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Hello Charlie, how's it going?

2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

What happened to everyone??

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Same number of average daily visitors, it's just been a few slow days of topics and posts, happened a couple of times already here but it picks up again quickly. Pretty normal...

4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

So I've noticed.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Usually a hot political topic gets a few folks coming back several times per day, and they end up commenting in other threads when here. Slow news week I guess, no one really interested in what Trump is doing (I know I don't care, lol).

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Trump don't interest me either or Trudeau for that matter, just another idiot in power.

7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

My Dads last rig was a 06 Explorer limited AWD with the 4.6, It got crap gas mpg, didn't seem to have gobs of power you speak of, and was less comfortable and plush than the wife's 96 4.0 Explorer limited (it gets a WHOLE lot better mpg too)................I sold it off for cash when we settled his estate.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Must have needed some work then
    Our 4.6 Town car will burn the tires down to the cords, and make my 5.0 fox body hide from embarrassment
    My friend from Pa has a 4.6 'sploder, she let me tune it, it will smoke all 4 tires from a stand still

9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It was like NEW.............with only 42,000 miles.
    It wasn't a complete slug but there's no way it could have touched a 5.0 stang.

Cali smog de-tune?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Probably, we are on the east coast.
    I've only run across 1 cali car in my time as a wrench turner, and you are probably spot on, that car was a slug, that sucked gas like it owned petroleum stock

11. woodbutcher Founding Member

:) A friend in Florida built a V8 Ranger.Drive train was salvaged from a FHP Mustang.One of the SC 302`s.
    Used the complete drive train,under hood and under dash wiring harness computer and ect.Lets just say that it WILL leave skid marks in your shorts.IF he behaves himself with the go pedal and uses the cruise control,he can coax 28 mpg or better out of it at 70 mph.Took him almost a year of tinkering with it between his two jobs,but it looks like a factory install.Used all of the factory options.PS,PB,AC yada,yada ect.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

There's been a lot of S10's done and I'm sure there must be an equal amount of Ford conversions done too.

13. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have seen a few S-10 conversions but many of them seemed like bad backyard hack jobs.

14. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I was at a world of wheels show in Winnipeg 5-6 years ago and outside in the parking lot there was quite a few of them parked there. They were air bagged and all had sbc in them and looked very professionally done.

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

There must have been something terribly wrong with that 2006 Explorer, because the 4.6L is almost a full second faster 0-60 mph than the 5.0L was, it should have run circles around the 4.0L. Emissions were 50-state in 2006 for the Explorer so it can't be that.

Maybe gear ratio accounted for it? Or it could be a NVH issue - quieter vehicles give the impression of less acceleration.

Gas mileage was rated nearly identical compared to the previous gens. The mileage being crap seems to hint something was wrong.

dustybumpers likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >